Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find owner of Samsung S8

Options
  • 07-08-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I found a Samsung Galaxy S8 last night and have messaged the pub it was found in asking them to contact me if anyone comes in looking for one so I can return it to them. The battery was dead when I found it but I've just charged it. I was wondering if the phone has any features that will help me find the owner of the phone? It has a vodafone sim card in it so I was thinking of taking that to a vodafone store and maybe they could find the owners details too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the phone itself is not pin locked and you are the same network you could try pop your own sim card into it. Call history might show up a family member or friend who may be aware of it being missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If the phone itself is not pin locked and you are the same network you could try pop your own sim card into it. Call history might show up a family member or friend who may be aware of it being missing.

If the phone wasn't pin locked they wouldn't need to put their own sim into it :confused:

OP if you call into a vodafone store they will be able to get the owner's details from the sim but they won't be able to give them to you and the contact number for the owner will be the phone you have unless it's a corporate account.

Is there a lock photo or screensaver pic on it? The quickest way would be to post a pic of the phone on social media and have it shared locally to where you found it.

Keep it turned on and I'd say someone will call it eventually or the owner will use the find my samsung app to trace it.

Report it to the Gardai so that you don't get accused of stealing it if they do try to trace it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Failing that, dropping into a Vodafone store with it mightn't be a bad idea either. They should be able to ID the number and the registered owner (I'd guess it's probably on a bill pay plan)

On the above - They may not be able to give the OP the owners details but they should have an address they could contact if it came to it? Although yes, the owner may well try calling it themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Thanks for the responses! When I charged the phone up it said that phone was encrypted and needs a password before it'll start so I don't reckon there'll be any calls coming through. Tried putting his sim in my phone but it says service unavailable so he may have cancelled the sim. I even tried putting his memory card into my phone but there's no contact information that I could import on to my phone. Think going to a vodafone store might be my only option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Thanks for the responses! When I charged the phone up it said that phone was encrypted and needs a password before it'll start so I don't reckon there'll be any calls coming through. Tried putting his sim in my phone but it says service unavailable so he may have cancelled the sim. I even tried putting his memory card into my phone but there's no contact information that I could import on to my phone. Think going to a vodafone store might be my only option!

Highly likely it's a corporate account if it's encrypted so yeh VF would have other contact details.

If going into them is inconvenient, give their business desk a call in the morning. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the retail staff won't be much help if it is a corporate phone as they can't see those details on the in store system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Highly likely it's a corporate account if it's encrypted so yeh VF would have other contact details.

If going into them is inconvenient, give their business desk a call in the morning. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the retail staff won't be much help if it is a corporate phone as they can't see those details on the in store system.

Sounds like a plan. Reckon I'll give them a ring tomorrow! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the phone wasn't pin locked they wouldn't need to put their own sim into it :confused:
    [...]

Its possible to have two pin security on your phone. One for phone, one for sim.

Advertisement