Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert Subject Advice

Options
  • 07-08-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

There's a very HIGH chance that I'll be repeating in September. I was wondering about what subjects could be good to take up in a year? The subjects that I took up are as follows:
    Irish (O)
    English (H)
    Maths (H)
    French (H)
    Biology (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Geography (H)
    Japanese (H)

So, I took up 8 subjects last year, in which Irish could honestly be disregarded as it was my ordinary level subject and I put minimal effort in it. I HATED Geography so I would like to drop it this year. My brain is not just made for rote learning essays. I could keep Japanese this year, but then I'd need to find a 6th year Saturday class willing to take me in. I'd prefer not to self-study it as my teacher was not that great with explaining lots of grammar etc., and I want more oral practice. It wouldn't be impossible though. If I do 6 higher level subjects, is it enough? Would it not be risky in case I have a bad exam on the day?

Im also considering Business. I did it for Junior Cert and didn't really mind it. But I heard that the course is quite long. How difficult is it to get a H1 in business? What kind of work should I be interested in doing/ willing to put in to excel?
    I'd like to do Ag Science but it's not available in the school that I'm repeating in. I'd probably have to go to a grinds school to do it.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

There's a very HIGH chance that I'll be repeating in September. I was wondering about what subjects could be good to take up in a year? The subjects that I took up are as follows:
    Irish (O)
    English (H)
    Maths (H)
    French (H)
    Biology (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Geography (H)
    Japanese (H)
    So, I took up 8 subjects last year, in which Irish could honestly be disregarded as it was my ordinary level subject and I put minimal effort in it. I HATED Geography so I would like to drop it this year. My brain is not just made for rote learning essays. I could keep Japanese this year, but then I'd need to find a 6th year Saturday class willing to take me in. I'd prefer not to self-study it as my teacher was not that great with explaining lots of grammar etc., and I want more oral practice. It wouldn't be impossible though. If I do 6 higher level subjects, is it enough? Would it not be risky in case I have a bad exam on the day?
    Im also considering Business. I did it for Junior Cert and didn't really mind it. But I heard that the course is quite long. How difficult is it to get a H1 in business? What kind of work should I be interested in doing/ willing to put in to excel?
    I'd like to do Ag Science but it's not available in the school that I'm repeating in. I'd probably have to go to a grinds school to do it.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Business and economics are both very doable in a year. Economics is the shorter of the two and would take less time to do. If you're willing to put the time in, either could be done well!

My friend did ag science in a year and got on great in it but you need a teacher to sign off on your project so you may not be able to do it if your school doesn't offer it.

Don't forgot that your English course has changed this year as well and it can be very difficult to learn all the texts and poets in a year. So be prepared to have to put a lot of time into that.

Some other people I've heard of do Classical Studies, Religion and Applied Maths in a year. Applied maths is quite a short course and definitely doable but I've no experience with the other two so can't fully comment.

Advertisement