Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking Rucksack Advice

Options
  • 07-08-2017 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My Girlfriend and I are currently looking for a rucksack to go traveling to Australia with. We will be gone for the year so will need plenty of flexibility and space out of the rucksack.

We have identified two that fit our needs:

Carribee Mallorca 80
    Vango Freedom 60 + 20

We like the detachable daysack sack feature on each, theyre side loadable, and that they're both built for flights. They have lots of space and compartments for storing stuff too.

I was just wondering has anybody any experience with these brands, or would you have any similar backpacks to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Heard of Vango, not the other brand.

If you are not planning on carrying the bigger rucksack for whole day/multi-day hikes i'd not worry about side access etc, you will be using the day pack for that. The handiest park of these bags is that you can fold the shoulder straps away behind a zip when putting into the plane. Much neater and does not get caught in everything.

I went traveling for a year and had the older version of this:
    This is a GREAT pack, i've had my years and still use it.
    https://lowealpine.com/eu/travel/backpacks/at-voyager-70-15-29

Same idea. To be honest if you are not hiking with it a good suitcase with wheels is better on your back, but they are more flexible and you want to look the part :)
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

whatever you do, for the love of god, get one that opens from the side!!

Myself and the now wife had them that opened from the side, and if you get one that opens from the top only you'll be forever trying to find stuff

Also makes it easier packing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

https://www.decathlon.ie/forclaz-50-hiking-backpack-en-s6561.html#layoutPicshare

I bought this recently .... seem to have got reviews within the site and good YouTube videos on it as well

Might be worth looking at ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

jusmeig wrote: »
    Heard of Vango, not the other brand.

Caribee are an Australian brand - pretty good. Basecamp in Abbey St, Dublin sell them - or used to anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Osprey get rave reviews.
    Got an Osprey Talon 33 last month for day hikes.

Most likely getting (missus.....why do you want two bags? :D ) an Osprey Exos 58 for multi day hikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement