Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting a Samsung S8, what do I lose?

Options
  • 07-08-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Well I got one of those nice shiny S8, as my old S4 was showing its age a little.
    Now the S4 is rooted and that let's me do a little messing about with certain apps.
    Thing is the S4 could be reset back to stock of you did something daft or just wanted to get the official updates again.

I know the S8 has a Knox efuse that will trigger if I attempt to root it. So the question is, what do I lose by rooting an S8??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Android Pay, Netflix, Sky Go

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Interesting. So the banking apps work, everything else works??

I assume the warranty and carrier insurance won't be bothered if I root.
    Or would it??

Is that s Sammy thing? Definitely fine with Android Pay (and I'm assuming the other two) on a rooted U11 with Magisk hide.

Interesting. So the banking apps work, everything else works??

I assume the warranty and carrier insurance won't be bothered if I root.
    Or would it??

I've heard Samsung can be difficult, but if it's a hardware fault they can't say rooting caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

I'm just being careful before I root.

I miss having the memory editing tools and the means to remove bloatware.

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

XDA is where you want to do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is that s Sammy thing? Definitely fine with Android Pay (and I'm assuming the other two) on a rooted U11 with Magisk hide.

No, that's an unhidden root thing. Some banking apps work. Some might not. Ulster Bank mostly works - can't use the fingerprint lock on it.

No, that's an unhidden root thing. Some banking apps work. Some might not. Ulster Bank mostly works - can't use the fingerprint lock on it.

Ah, shame. Bonus of HTC is we get the good devs :D

I did a bit of reading, and Android Pay doesn't seem to be a problem, and there seems to be simple workaround to get Netflix and Amazon video working. I've never had a problem with AIB app on any device, so not sure how that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have netflix working. What doesn't work is eir sport and the BB suit of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Thanks lads.

You can remove bloatware on the S8 without rooting using a "package Disabler". Try BK package disabler. Costs like €1.50 on the play store. If you don't want to play €1.50 you can use Adhell which has a basic package disabler, and system wide adblock too. Great app. The adblock works very well (except on youtube).

I actually don't use package disablers anymore, just disable whatever you can disable in the settings, and use Samsung's device manager to force apps to sleep when you're not using them (go to device maintenance - battery - scroll down to the bottom - tap "always sleeping apps" and add whatever you want in there) Battery life is better believe it or not!

What do you mean by memory editing tool?

• Advertisement
Advertisement