Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your name can literally influence the way you look

Options
  • 07-08-2017 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting study.
    Your name can influence social expectations of you and in so doing influence your self-perception.
    And your appearance.

So for example people would identify an Emily correctly greater than chance (significantly?) from a choice of four equally possible names.

This is a very interesting look at how society/culture can literally make you who you are/who you think you are.

http://lifehacker.com/your-name-may-literally-change-your-physical-appearance-1797505579

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Your name can influence social expectations of you and in so doing influence your self-perception.
    And your appearance.

So for example people would identify an Emily correctly greater than chance (significantly?) from a choice of four equally possible names.

This is a very interesting look at how society/culture can literally make you who you are/who you think you are.

http://lifehacker.com/your-name-may-literally-change-your-physical-appearance-1797505579

I know a lad called Podge.

He's fecking huge.

And your appearance.

If I looked like my name I'd be a six foot blonde with an international modelling career.

Instead I'm a five foot nothing swotty brunette in reading glasses and a Power Rangers t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Great... I look forward to seeing this a dozen times or so on my facebook in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People judge my name and think I'm a forridener

I'm a pasty Irish girl that resembles gone off ham

:pac:

I like to think I look like an Anna or a Florence when the truth is probably closer to a Bernadette :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

My name IRL is in Irish.....but as common as anything....so I could look like anything I guess??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

65% of all polls are a load of bollocks according to a recent survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

:pac:

I like to think I look like an Anna or a Florence when the truth is probably closer to a Bernadette :p

All the Florence's I know are male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

My name is Irish and common enough, I tend to look similar to other people that have the name, but maybe that's just because we're all Irish. It's not the most exciting of names, I'd like to have something unusual but not too odd, like Lavinia or Lola.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

It's a pity poor ould Quasimodo's parents weren't aware of this when they named their son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Great... I look forward to seeing this a dozen times or so on my facebook in the next week or so.

Just stop looking at Facebook so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your name doesn't influence the way you look, it's a marker, not a trigger...

Your name was not given to you at random.
    It was chosen by the people who most likely played the largest role in shaping you - your parents.

We should probably expect the parents that pick certain kinds of names - traditional or idiosyncratic - will follow certain patterns in how their children are raised. And that will impact how those children present themselves to the world.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Wesser wrote: »

Tempted at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I literally died.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wesser wrote: »

I stopped about a year ago. Never looked back

Grayson wrote: »
    I stopped about a year ago. Never looked back

It's how I communicate with one family member in particular living over seas.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I literally died.

If you'd died you'd have known about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Your name doesn't influence the way you look, it's a marker, not a trigger...

Your name was not given to you at random.
    It was chosen by the people who most likely played the largest role in shaping you - your parents.

We should probably expect the parents that pick certain kinds of names - traditional or idiosyncratic - will follow certain patterns in how their children are raised. And that will impact how those children present themselves to the world.

True enough. But often the parents choose a name with some example in mind and the child kind of identifies with this famous person or more likely is influenced by the parents - and their environs.

There once was a survey in schools in Germany regarding names. They found out that teachers consider boys with the name Kevin as generally stupid. Kevin was fashionable for some time (I think it originated with some footballer, Kevin Keegan?), while an Alexander was considered as intelligent, even if he came from a rather deprived background, which just shows that the parents had aspirations for their son.

Girls with an a in their names, the more the better, are generelly considered more feminine, like an Anna Katharina is the pinnacle of womanhood, and she behaves like an Anna Katharina because of the evironmental expectations. A Gertrud on the other hand sounds like an old spinster, is treated as such and might behave like one.

Name fashions change with culture and with ages, though. What sounds lovely in Ireland, might sound pretentious or simply stupid elsewhere. And vice versa.
    And don't get me started with American names, or celebrity names :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Carry wrote: »
    There once was a survey in schools in Germany regarding names. They found out that teachers consider boys with the name Kevin as generally stupid. Kevin was fashionable for some time (I think it originated with some footballer, Kevin Keegan?), while an Alexander was considered as intelligent, even if he came from a rather deprived background, which just shows that the parents had aspirations for their son.

My missus is German and she has a friend who was a teacher in Germany. That girl maintained that Kevin was not a name but a diagnosis :pac: Apparently it became popular in Germany after the Home Alone films.

Once upon a time someone called Robert was called Bob or Bobby, now it's Rob or Robbie.
    How did that happen?

James was Jim or Jimmy; now it's Jamie.

Probably the nickname version you go for, or whether you go for a nickname version, does say something...

• Advertisement

My missus is German and she has a friend who was a teacher in Germany. That girl maintained that Kevin was not a name but a diagnosis :pac: Apparently it became popular in Germany after the Home Alone films.

Kevin Costner could have a role to play in this also.

Famous Kevins:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

All the Gerrys and Larrys I know are just plain hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

People always mistake me as Polish- a very specific mistake that people regularly make.
    And then they think my name is Polish even though it's not at all, it's just spelled a bit unusual (which is a burden in itself). So when I worked in retail people used to look at me and then my name tag and then speak slowly to me. When I'd speak back they'd be like "oh you're british". Nope born and bred in dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My name isn't common these days, know a few in or around my age with it. I use the full version, never any of the shortened ones. I always thought that with my name I should look elegant or something but like Candie I'm short with glasses , mostly jeans and Converse wearing. There was a character on one of the CSI shows with my name and she was very glamorous. I might add I love the way American men pronounce it, I'd nearly pay one to keep saying it to me :)

73Cat wrote: »
    My name isn't common these days, know a few in or around my age with it. I use the full version, never any of the shortened ones. I always thought that with my name I should look elegant or something but like Candie I'm short with glasses , mostly jeans and Converse wearing. There was a character on one of the CSI shows with my name and she was very glamorous. I might add I love the way American men pronounce it, I'd nearly pay one to keep saying it to me :)

Does it begin with E? Understand if you don't come back. BTW, I've never watched CSI.

73Cat wrote: »

Mine are just reading glasses but I find myself forgetting to take them off more and more these days. Lasik beckons sooner rather than later. :)

I never use my full name, it sounds too overblown for me and similarly I think it's a lot more elegant than I am. I always use one of two shortened versions, and only ever an initial when I'm signing off on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Once upon a time someone called Robert was called Bob or Bobby, now it's Rob or Robbie.
    How did that happen?

James was Jim or Jimmy; now it's Jamie.

Probably the nickname version you go for, or whether you go for a nickname version, does say something...

I have a friend called Robert but everyone calls him bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I can't say I agree with this...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have a friend called Robert but everyone calls him bobby
    Stage II http://explosm.net/comics/2977/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Does it begin with E? Understand if you don't come back. BTW, I've never watched CSI.

No, it doesn't start with E .

Advertisement