Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight delay of 16 1/2 hours

Options
  • 07-08-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

HI Folks,

Maybe you might be able to help if I'm entitled to anything or not. I flew with air transat last week from Montreal to Dublin.

Initally the flight was suppose to take off at 22.55 Wed 2nd from Montreal (3.55am Irish time) and arrive at 10.05am Thurs 3rd Irish time the following morning.

There were 2 delays caused by mechanical faults and we did not leave until 3.30pm Thurs (8.30pm Irish time) and arrived at about 2.45am Irish time Friday
    so a total delay of 16.5 hours

Air transat put us in a hotel overnight and provided vouchers for food and drink at the airport they also offered us 250 dollars off our next flight

Looking at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html

it says that

The Regulation applies to all passengers departing from an EU/EEA airport. It also applies to passengers departing from an airport outside of the EU/EEA but arriving at an EU/EEA airport on an EU/EEA licensed carrier (unless they have already received compensation or assistance in that non-EU/EEA country).

and that I could be entitled up to 600 euro I've heard some mixed opinions on it though some of which include.

1. because its a north american airline the above rules do not apply to them
    2. as they offered comensation of 250 dollars they do not need to do anything else
    3. the rule only applies to flying from europe and not into europe

so do you think I'm entitled to the 600 euro compensation, is it worth pursuing as I had about 20 euro in bills due to parking and cattery and then also lost a days holidays because of the delay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EC261 doesn't apply as you flew to the EU on a non EU carrier (it would apply if you had say flown Aer Lingus or British Airways).

You will need to check what local Canadian regulations apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

crazyderk wrote: »

1. because its a north american airline the above rules do not apply to them
    2. as they offered comensation of 250 dollars they do not need to do anything else
    3. the rule only applies to flying from europe and not into europe

The post above me really covers it.

Your first and third point are partially correct, as it was a non European airline flight from a non European destination, EU261 does not apply. If either of these conditions are not met, it may apply.

Your second point however is false, for EU261 anyway, whatever offer the airline makes does not affect your statutory rights, although if you accept it I'm not sure that still applies.

And as above, I'd check Canadian legislation. However I don't think it will offer much hope.

Advertisement