Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Airlines

Options
  • 07-08-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if American Airlines have seat back TVs on their flights from Chicago and Charottle into Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Depends on the aircraft. Charlotte to Dublin is usually an Airbus 330. We flew this route last month, the a/c had IFE, but the screens were quite unresponsive and frustrating to use, so I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alanashe

Thanks, I dont hear great things about them, I might use Delta instead, I'm flying back from Cancun and I dont want the 5/6 hr layover in Gatwick on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

rushfan wrote: »
    Depends on the aircraft. Charlotte to Dublin is usually an Airbus 330. We flew this route last month, the a/c had IFE, but the screens were quite unresponsive and frustrating to use, so I gave up.

Yep, I was on there a330 a few weeks ago. The screens are awful, very unresponsive. I found the knack to using them but it was disappointing.

You have to click slightly to the right of the button you want to actually push.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Well, they're currently flying a 787-8 between Dublin and Chicago, which is 2 years old, and I don't think you can get much better than that.

Infact, I plan to fly Business Class from Dublin to SFO with them next summer,it's that good.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/05/09/american-airlines-787-economy-heres-what-its-like/

https://travelcodex.com/review-american-airlines-787-business-class-beijing-to-dallas/

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alanashe

Hmm....Interesting. Do they always use the 787 on the Chicago - Dublin route?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

No, it's a new thing this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well, they're currently flying a 787-8 between Dublin and Chicago, which is 2 years old, and I don't think you can get much better than that.

Infact, I plan to fly Business Class from Dublin to SFO with them next summer,it's that good.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/05/09/american-airlines-787-economy-heres-what-its-like/

https://travelcodex.com/review-american-airlines-787-business-class-beijing-to-dallas/

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of their Business Class product you've linked. In fact it's pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of their Business Class product you've linked. In fact it's pretty poor.

The economy looks quite basic. I will never forget stepping onto the Qatar 787 first time a few years back, it was like walking into the atrium of a 5* hotel. The fact it was night made all the lights and designs stand out that bit more. But I suppose AA have just stuck to what we're used to in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

1123heavy wrote: »
    The economy looks quite basic. I will never forget stepping onto the Qatar 787 first time a few years back, it was like walking into the atrium of a 5* hotel. The fact it was night made all the lights and designs stand out that bit more. But I suppose AA have just stuck to what we're used to in the west.

You should see the interior of the 757 AA use out of SNN. It is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

I find a lot of the hardware used by American operators very dated compared to European/Asian carriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

weisses wrote: »
    I find a lot of the hardware used by American operators very dated compared to European/Asian carriers.

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/08/does-airplane-age-matter-and-which-airline-has-the-oldest-planes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I just flew from Charlotte to Dublin the end of June and they did. I fly AA quite often and have never been on an international flight that didn't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Has anyone flown the one of the retrofitted A332s from DUB-PHL lately?
    Curious to know what they are like as i know AA planes have been very tired now for years.
    Booked on one next week and hopefully in new PE seats

Has anyone flown the one of the retrofitted A332s from DUB-PHL lately?
    Curious to know what they are like as i know AA planes have been very tired now for years.
    Booked on one next week and hopefully in new PE seats

You will be in PE if you paid for it, if not then the chances of getting that seat are very slim. They and some of the other american carriers are known to sell that seat even after take off. If you have One World status and are a regular flyer with AA, then you MIGHT be offered a PE seat but I would expect nothing.

You will be in PE if you paid for it, if not then the chances of getting that seat are very slim. They and some of the other american carriers are known to sell that seat even after take off. If you have One World status and are a regular flyer with AA, then you MIGHT be offered a PE seat but I would expect nothing.

Sorry should’ve been more specific. I have status and seat selected already which i believe is in the new PE in 6th row. Just wondered if anyone had already been in as it seems they(A332s) are nearly all fitted out now.

Sorry should’ve been more specific. I have status and seat selected already which i believe is in the new PE in 6th row. Just wondered if anyone had already been in as it seems they(A332s) are nearly all fitted out now.

On further investigation, sadly it seems not, according to the points guy. But this is June so maybe it has been updated. If you do get it, be nice to know what you thought of it. Some PE services are quite good. I would rate VS PE over that stupid herringbone seat in Upper.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-a330-retrofit-details/

On further investigation, sadly it seems not, according to the points guy. But this is June so maybe it has been updated. If you do get it, be nice to know what you thought of it. Some PE services are quite good. I would rate VS PE over that stupid herringbone seat in Upper.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-a330-retrofit-details/

The config on seatmap changed from 242 to 232 about a week ago so I’m hopeful. Reports are that the refitted planes are coming out every couple of weeks and seatguru isn’t updated. Cant find any videos or images anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

alanashe wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if American Airlines have seat back TVs on their flights from Chicago and Charottle into Dublin?

Thanks

they have seatback screens and they are quite good. better than Aer Lingus.
    the only downside is that when you book with them, they will charge you TWICE and then remove the second charge after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

they have seatback screens and they are quite good. better than Aer Fungus.
    the only downside is that when you book with them, they will charge you TWICE and then remove the second charge after a couple of days.

That's a normal credit card hold, you should never see it on a card, and you shouldn't use debit cards for credit card style purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

I flew on a PE retrofitted AA A332 on Monday. Wasn't in the Premium Economy seats, but took a look at the PE mini-cabin and it looks like a job well done. Their 789 PE cabin feels awful cramped but the 332 PE is pretty spacious. Disappointed that they didn't seem to clean the plane when they did the refit a few days previously, so everything apart from the seats was still a little grimy. Flight attendant told me that the service remains as standard economy until the cabin goes on sale next year. Next few weeks are a great opportunity to fly comfortably to the states at economy prices!

• Advertisement

Tea2 wrote: »
    I flew on a PE retrofitted AA A332 on Monday. Wasn't in the Premium Economy seats, but took a look at the PE mini-cabin and it looks like a job well done. Their 789 PE cabin feels awful cramped but the 332 PE is pretty spacious. Disappointed that they didn't seem to clean the plane when they did the refit a few days previously, so everything apart from the seats was still a little grimy. Flight attendant told me that the service remains as standard economy until the cabin goes on sale next year. Next few weeks are a great opportunity to fly comfortably to the states at economy prices!

Thanks for that. Its a little disconcerting they rushed it back tho I’m sure itll be fine. Didn’t think they would be doing PE service as ive not paid for it but to be honest ill be happy with the space. Ive 6 flights and two main ones are in this so nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Flew AA a couple of years ago to DUB-ORD-MCO and back to DUB via CLT. The flight to ORD was on an old 767 whose interior hadn't been touched since the 90's, but truth be told, I liked it.

Back from CLT it was an A332, and as mentioned, good but not great. I preferred the 767 but that's the avgeek in me coming out I suppose.

Domestically, they were no different to EI or FR, no complaints but nothing to shout about either.

Flew AA a couple of years ago to DUB-ORD-MCO and back to DUB via CLT. The flight to ORD was on an old 767 whose interior hadn't been touched since the 90's, but truth be told, I liked it.

Back from CLT it was an A332, and as mentioned, good but not great. I preferred the 767 but that's the avgeek in me coming out I suppose.

Domestically, they were no different to EI or FR, no complaints but nothing to shout about either.

'A couple of years' over the last decade is a long time when you think about cabin refreshes and aircraft updates. Although people still come on in, albeit not as much asking about overheard tv's on Aer Lingus flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I flew AA from Dallas DFW to LHR about five years ago in the rear of a B772. I'm not normally too fussy about seats or flights but this was probably the worst long-haul flight I was ever on.

The seat padding was so worn and jaded, I could feel the metal frame's structure pressing into the back of my thighs after about an hour's flying and I had pins & needles and low back pain all the way to LHR. I asked for a seat change but the aircraft was full, so I endured it for nine hours.

The cabin crew were excellent though. Nothing they could do about the jaded seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

The config on seatmap changed from 242 to 232 about a week ago so I’m hopeful. Reports are that the refitted planes are coming out every couple of weeks and seatguru isn’t updated. Cant find any videos or images anywhere.

Of the 15 remaining Legacy US Airways A330, 8 have been upgraded, 6 remain and one is currently being retrofitted. Today's flight as well as the next 3 days are scheduled to be on upgraded planes, where as yesterday's flight was still on an older one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pro tips;
    - Buy yourself a tablet (Download whatever you feel like from Netflix/Amazon/Spotify etc)
    - Buy yourself a kindle 
    - Buy yourself a quality neck pillow
    - Buy yourself some quality lounge wear type clothes
    - Save an eye mask & ear plugs from your next long haul
    - Get a decent pair of over ear and in ear headphones
    - Pop into Tesco/Dealz etc pre flight a spend a tenner on some nuts/chocolate
    - Spend the money if needs be on an aisle/window seat (whichever you prefer)
    - Overall would recommend the back 3/4 rows on the A330s/777s/767s/757s IF you're not under pressure for a connection. Depends on the leg but more often than not I find I get the food first there and it's an easy call for extra service too - you'll be noticed sooner. In particular if you pick the seats on the 777 where the fuselage narrows so the middle only has 3 seats, then the pair of seats by the window has way more room in my experience (AA, BA, UA).
    By and large if you do all of that then the aircraft will be largely irrelevant to your experience.

lynchie wrote: »
    Of the 15 remaining Legacy US Airways A330, 8 have been upgraded, 6 remain and one is currently being retrofitted. Today's flight as well as the next 3 days are scheduled to be on upgraded planes, where as yesterday's flight was still on an older one.

Can I ask where you get this info from, FR24 or internal info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Can I ask where you get this info from, FR24 or internal info?

Mix of both. Fr24 for the plane regs for the recent and future aa722/3 flights and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1184404-aa-lus-airbus-a330-200-a332-master-thread-35.html for the progress of the upgrades.

lynchie wrote: »
    Mix of both. Fr24 for the plane regs for the recent and future aa722/3 flights and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1184404-aa-lus-airbus-a330-200-a332-master-thread-35.html for the progress of the upgrades.

Sorry forgot to reply. Saw the history and future metal on FR24. Still in the PE seats tomorrow it seems on a new version A332 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement