Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very disappointed with Aer lingus business class

Options
  • 07-08-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭

Mostly I've been flying with BA as my clients were in locations not served by Aer lingus, but I recently had a trip to the states and decided to give Aer lingus business class a try.

So I booked Dublin to Chicago and then an internal first class connection with united.

We arrived in Dublin , queued in the business check in for half an hour to be told that our flight was cancelled , they could have saved them me by having a staff go up the queue telling people it by texting us. They had no contingency fior planes out of action.

When we did get rerouted through Boston we went to the new lounge after the preclearance, very poor selection of food and drink with no hot food other than soup. The airport they out us up in in Boston was a building site.

The wifi on board wasn't working.

On the return flight we couldn't use the lounge in the first airport as Aer lingus didn't have a deal. Then in Newark we could use the BA lounge but couldn't get hot food as it's for BA passengers only.

In future I'll just go BA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ted1 wrote: »
    Mostly I've been flying with BA as my clients were in locations not served by Aer lingus, but I recently had a trip to the states and decided to give Aer lingus business class a try.

So I booked Dublin to Chicago and then an internal first class connection with united.

We arrived in Dublin , queued in the business check in for half an hour to be told that our flight was cancelled , they could have saved them me by having a staff go up the queue telling people it by texting us. They had no contingency fior planes out of action.

When we did get rerouted through Boston we went to the new lounge after the preclearance, very poor selection of food and drink with no hot food other than soup. The airport they out us up in in Boston was a building site.

The wifi on board wasn't working.

On the return flight we couldn't use the lounge in the first airport as Aer lingus didn't have a deal. Then in Newark we could use the BA lounge but couldn't get hot food as it's for BA passengers only.

In future I'll just go BA.

It depends how much you value the extra 4 hours odd it takes to go via Heathrow, plus the added time from lack of pre clearance, as well as having to clear UK immigration on the way back. I have done both, and personally when flying home after a long week of work I hate flying over home knowing it's another four or five hours before I'll get there. Have you considered American who fly direct? Their business class offering isn't as good add BA but they fly direct and have lounges in most US airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

To get to my final destination it wouldn't have been an extra 4 hours.

As it happens I arrived 24 later to my destination. Lucky I went on the Saturday opposed to a Sunday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I hope you will put all of these issues directly to Aer Lingus in writing, through a formal complaints form and not just tell us  here! Formal complaints need to be made on such issues as its the only way they listen and record data on passenger satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

To get to my final destination it wouldn't have been an extra 4 hours.

As it happens I arrived 24 later to my destination. Lucky I went on the Saturday opposed to a Sunday

I looked at AA but the plane was end of life and the business was piss poor, however since this weekend they've changed it out to a dream liner.

For 3.5k I expect some hot food in a lounge.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    I hope you will put all of these issues directly to Aer Lingus in writing, through a formal complaints form and not just tell us  here! Formal complaints need to be made on such issues as its the only way they listen and record data on passenger satisfaction.
    I will as I'll be claiming my 600 euro compensation for flight delay and also for the balance for changing my internal flight to coach. I'll also be looking for my tier points and avios which they havn't giving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

For 3.5k I expect some hot food in a lounge.

Because DAA are kowtowing to CBP for preclearance there are savage restrictions on what you can cater once you are through preclearance due to US Customs rules.

I presume this is the reason. I can see the point but the utter lack of signage really makes this a poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aer Lingus don't give a ****e. You get the same pre-fabricated apology and nothing else in my experience.

trellheim wrote: »
    Because DAA are kowtowing to CBP for preclearance there are savage restrictions on what you can cater once you are through preclearance due to US Customs rules.

I presume this is the reason. I can see the point but the utter lack of signage really makes this a poor show.

I think it's just the fact that the Aer Lingus lounge at DUB is crap? And it's before US pre-clearance unless there's another one after? The difference between it and the Etihad Lounge next door is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

This is a shame, because it's not the actual product that you were frustrated with, and cancelled flights aren't uncommon unfortunately this summer in the shambles that is Dublin transatlantic ops. I've flown once with EI business to ORD and I found the product all in all to be excellent. I'd give it a try again if on the off chance Aer Lingus ever get back to you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

fullstop wrote:
    I think it's just the fact that the Aer Lingus lounge at DUB is crap? And it's before US pre-clearance unless there's another one after?

There's another one after pre-clearance, 51st & Green.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's another one after pre-clearance, 51st & Green.

Fair enough, but the point still stands about the one before it.

This is a shame, because it's not the actual product that you were frustrated with, and cancelled flights aren't uncommon unfortunately this summer in the shambles that is Dublin transatlantic ops. I've flown once with EI business to ORD and I found the product all in all to be excellent. I'd give it a try again if on the off chance Aer Lingus ever get back to you...
    The plane itself ( once we got on it) and excluding the wifi problem was fine, but with business class you expect to be better treated in lounges and with regards flight cancellations.
    The revival lounge in Baggage reclaim is a handy feature to have a shower etc, but with flights landing at 05:20 a few sausages etc wouldn't go astray.

fullstop wrote: »

Aer Lingus don't give a ****e. You get the same pre-fabricated apology and nothing else in my experience.
    Yes of course you'll get a scripted apology, its the same from any customer service department in any big company, but if people don't bother complaining things won't ever change. One complaint may not make a difference but overwhelming feedback from customers that say X,Y or Z wasn't satisfacorty will mean someone somewhere will have to look at and consider what can be changed. EI management aren't listening to staff and doing things they way they have traditionally been done recently, they are all about these "Voice of the guest surveys" that are sent out to passengers after flights. So its important that issues and grievances are being documented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Yeah, I did notice a difference in their approach to Business Class. For example, they kept the blankets and wifi codes locked away for an hour or two into the flight. What was the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You can take a blanket any time you want in business or any other seat. The blankets are not locked away; they are above your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

You mean the blankets are put away in the overhead locker? That is locked away.

Most airlines leave the blankets on your seats. On my flight, the flight attendants came out and handed the blankets to passengers, after the first meal service.

Most airlines leave the blankets on your seats. On my flight, the flight attendants came out and handed the blankets to passengers, after the first meal service.
    The last flight I took the blankets and pillows were left on the seats for us. Maybe this has changed or depends on the outstation and how the cleaners prepare the cabin. 
    Over head lockers are not actually locked lockers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tbf OP the Wi-Fi issue may have been outside of their control. Regarding the lounge I do agree that EI lacks in this area. It's on a par with what you get in many US lounges. That being said the lounge past preclearance is superior to the EI lounge IMO.

Regarding Wi-Fi cards I always ask for a card when I get on. Never had a problem with blankets. Either on my seat or above my head.

While EI is inferior to BA from an overall experience, the seat and amenities on-board aren't bad for the premium product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The hard product in both economy and business is better with EI, best business class seat on the North Atlantic. The A330 2-4-2 interior EI use is vastly better than the 777 3-3-3 (and soon to be 3-4-3), the 787 seats are horrible.

The soft product is an issue, it can be outstanding it can be poor. The staff in general are good, but the food isn’t great in economy, neither is the IFE (top marks to KLM/AF here), I have team members who insist on EI as there is WIFI (and JetBlue do free wifi for the connections on the US side)

The check in setup in Dublin is great, discrete and staffed by a small group of extremely experienced staff. Fast Track security is smooth (staff so much nicer than LHR)

The real let down with EI is the lounge experience, Dublin is the problem, beyond the goulash soup we all love there is nothing more. The lounge in JFK does have a pre dining option but isn’t great

That said the food at the BA lounge in LHR, its a choice of brown, yellow or green ‘gunge’, Every time I get hassle on entry, down to the point of knowing the page in the manual. If you get to the magic First or Concorde room, well its impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Fair enough, but the point still stands about the one before it.

Only the one after pre-clearance is a DAA lounge not EI lounge, can be accessed by anyone travelling T/A not just EI 'guests'

The blankets are all stored about the lockers in row 6 and 7. The wifi codes ( which were pointless as the wifi didn't work) were presented after about an hour , but the wifi doesn't work till your at the right cruising height so not a big delay. Bottom line is that they are charging the same as BA but fir an inferior product and also the reward scheme is a joke so there's no incentives to fly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Blankets aren't to be worn during taxi, takeoff or landing. This would be an issue, if you hold it so deeply, that would need to be addressed to the IAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I suspect the majority of J passengers don't want the blanket immediately as they receive a fairly long food and drink service shortly after take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The blankets are, I repeat, accessible any time you want one, regardless of what kind of seat you have on board. The WiFi will work on the ground as I have tested it myself. The cabin crew are detailed to get the food and drinks going in short order after take off and most of their initial preparation is geared towards that. Blankets and wifi can wait for a bit until the pax have settled down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Reading this thread it seems that the OP has issue with how he was handled more than the actual product.
    I would agree that the cancellations and rebooking are not going to give a good opinion.
    Having read info here and elsewhere online it seems that EI are currently having unprecedented issues with their A330 fleet.
    Judging by the photos online over the last 2 weeks it seems there is at least 1 widebody hire-in per day.

Obviously for the customer with expectations and a need to be somewhere being given no notice or short notice is not acceptable. I woukd expect that after such an experience even with a picture perfect return journey on EI metal the negative opinion would still stand.

Looking at other points;
    -the issue of the FFP has an ongoing discussion in another thread.
    -the lounge partnership issue does seem below par for what is advertised, this could however be out of their hands.
    -the lounge post CBP in Dublin is run by the airport itself and is open to all airlines. So the food available is not only an EI issue.
    .....They had no contingency for planes out of action.

When we did get rerouted through Boston .....
    Isnt this part of their contingency?
    ........The airport they out us up in in Boston was a building site.
    Yes, EI currently use the Jetblue terminal in Boston. I was there about 6 weeks ago, I wont call it a building site. It seemed fit for purpose. (I wasnt in J Class however)
    But the overall airport campus there is getting a major upgrade as it has been overcrowded for a few years now.
    This is an obvious flaw in the codeshare set-up. The OP stated that he booked 1st class internally with United, then it was their problem with the first airport lounge. The contract with BA in Newark might not cover hot food, or BA may want to keep that perk for their own customers?

In saying that, the OP is not neccessarily just making stuff up to have a rant. Think of the 1000's of EI customers unhappy and inconvenienced over the last while. The OPs opinion is still valid, just a little off target (in my opinon)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

, but the wifi doesn't work till your at the right cruising height

10,000ft is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a big red switch to turn it on and off (its above the control screen for the IFE)

It theory it will work anywhere at any altitude assuming sight of the satellite

Standard rules are nothing below 10,000 feet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There is a big red switch to turn it on and off (its above the control screen for the IFE)
    Suddenly I have this image of Father Douglas on a plane!!

Advertisement