Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview retune and loss of saorview August 2017

Options
  • 06-08-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

We live in East cavan. We have always had very good reception on a saorview box, receiving both Saorview and Freeview. Last Friday night a caption appeared on the freeview channels suggesting that a rescan was needed as their system was being updated. We had done similar rescans before and went ahead.
    Since then our reception is in a mess. Initially we got Rte 1, Rte 1+1, Rte junior and be3, plus a selection of the uk channels, but nothing like the full list. We tried again, eventually receiving either the complete UK line up and no Irish channels or all the irish channels and a small selection of UK channels. Now we can only get the initial range of Irish channels and a selection of UK channels
    I rang Saorview who told me there is nothing wrong with their system, no outages, scheduled or unscheduled, and no interference by the UK system being retuned and reorganised. Stange that their own website lists three scheduled outages last week, which the girl in the call centre told me didnt actually happen.
    Im totally non technical with these things and just want to get back what we had. I find it hard to believe that the uk retune and our loss of saorview arnt related, at best its a heck of a coincidence. Has anyone else had similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

It's not a problem with Saorview outages or otherwise. (The 3 listed for last week are nowhere near your part of the country.)

I assume you've gone through the full channel list from top to bottom?

What's the make & model of your TV or box, & do you know if Ireland or UK is currently selected as the setup region?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Our box is a digihome which was working perfectly till the retune.
    The only option for selecting your country is Ireland or several mainland european countries,
    There is no option for the UK
    Thurston? wrote: »
    It's not a problem with Saorview outages or otherwise. (The 3 listed for last week are nowhere near your part of the country.)

I assume you've gone through the full channel list from top to bottom?

What's the make & model of your TV or box, & do you know if Ireland or UK is currently selected as the setup region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Wonder if it's some quirk of the box, or just borderline poor signal that's causing it to find the channels sometimes & not others?

Maybe try a manual retune, going through each frequency in turn. I'll list those for Brougher Mtn. & Cairn Hill, your most likely Freeview & Saorview transmitters respectively.

Brougher PSB muxes: channel 22 (482 MHz), ch. 25 (506 MHz), ch. 28 (530 MHz). Brougher com. muxes: channel 21 (474 MHz), channel 24 (498 MHz), channel 27 (522 MHz). These com. muxes will probably be subject to interference from the Divis transmitter (Belfast) which uses the same frequencies, at much greater power, for its PSB muxes.

Cairn Hill Saorview is mux 1 (RTE2, TV3, TG4) on ch. 47 (682 MHz), & mux 2 (RTE1 etc.) on ch. 44 (658 MHz).

EDIT: Forgot to mention channel 25 on Brougher is the DVB-T2 HD mux, & I'd doubt your box will work with that.

Advertisement