Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you need to lock your bike to something

Options
  • 06-08-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭

We all know bikes are lifted, but seeing it happen so fast hits home why you need to lock your bike to something solid

https://gfycat.com/MassiveShortBluewhale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Cienciano wrote: »
    We all know bikes are lifted, but seeing it happen so fast hits home why you need to lock your bike to something solid

https://gfycat.com/MassiveShortBluewhale

Wow. That was a actually impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They must go to the gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I use a disc lock when I'm out and about! I rarely leave it in town. Almax at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Cienciano wrote: »
    I use a disc lock when I'm out and about! I rarely leave it in town. Almax at home.

In that video they lifted the front wheel - it probably had a disk lock. Just don't leave your bike too near a kerb!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Leave it in gear too, disc lock, and Almax chain. :-) Oh, and alarm with immobiliser. :D

But, if they really want it, they'll take it. :mad:

It's all about discouraging them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Not living in Dublin is the best way to prevent bike theft.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Not living in Dublin is the best way to prevent bike theft.

Don't fool yourself. Plenty of bikes are stolen outside Dublin. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah man...cant believe they took the sports bike over the cruiser/moped thingy....:D....how do we know they stealing it..just cause theyre not white....;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7i60GuNRg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

In Switzerland we never need to bother with chains or bike locks and am grateful for it. Am wondering now if I should buy something for when I'm in Ireland.

I guess the fact that we'll never be in the same spot twice will make it unlikely and will only have one night in south dublin but still...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Paulw wrote: »
    Don't fool yourself. Plenty of bikes are stolen outside Dublin. :p

Yeah, but most of the scummers live in Dublin.
    How likely are they to travel out into the sticks looking for bikes to steal?

Not very.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BKtje wrote: »
    In Switzerland we never need to bother with chains or bike locks and am grateful for it. Am wondering now if I should buy something for when I'm in Ireland.

I guess the fact that we'll never be in the same spot twice will make it unlikely and will only have one night in south dublin but still...
    Parking out of sight and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Being in the wrong spot once is enough!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/yamaha-bike-stolen-1191437-Nov2013/

Jesus thats horrible. Pure filth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah, but most of the scummers live in Dublin.

Not very.

Scumbags aren't just a Dublin problem and you can be sure that your local scumbag has a better knowledge of what you have then you do.

And scumbags don't go looking for bikes to steal, they just go looking to steal.

Get a couple of locks/chains and daisy chain your bikes together. Being in the one place for 2 minutes is long enough for them to get a bike into a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Am wondering now if I should buy something for when I'm in Ireland.

Wonder no longer. I put a disc lock on front and back at a minimum and alarmed. Don't leave your bike on view overnight if you can at all avoid it. Theft is a big problem in Ireland, my son has had 2 bicycles (both locked to objects) and a moped stolen in 2 years. Read that again... and he is just 1 guy!!

Don't want to be a scaremonger but bike security is your biggest challenge on this trip in the main cities.

https://www.facebook.com/Motorcycles-Stolen-Ireland-990660850950215/

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=bike%20theft%20ireland%20awareness

Not very.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/263838/motorbikes-worth-10-000-stolen-in-co-tipperary-burglary.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

And don't if at all possible advertise your bike for sale on well known ad sites if poss. Scammers monitor these ad sites 24/7. Idiots advertising their bikes in front of their houses etc.....scum is looking what else is there to rob. Know of one individual Wicklow way who was advertising a high end large touring bike with all his other toys and house in background......he got paid a visit....bikes recovered thanks to trackers but be warned. Sell to your pals or associates of and take the hit financially to get a sale as against scum coming upto your abode for a nosey.

What would people recommend for travelling? Obviously space is limited but would ruin the holiday if the bike went missing :p

Father in law is on a Suzuki Dr. Big from the early 90's. Looks cool but even though it's a 700cc it has only 23kw of power or something. I assume he's going to need something as well?

Don't even know where I'm going to buy this stuff as no local shops seem to have it in stock. Guess scumbags here too busy stealing mazzeratis or Porsches to go for bikes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

lock your bikes together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

One steel chain to lock em together do the job you think? Cheers for the advice folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think almost every biker i know who lives in a major city has had at least one motorbike stolen.

I live in London and have had one stolen and another attempted theft. They tried to steal it obviously failed. They tried to break the steering lock but failed. I guess they gave up quickly due to the alarm going off. I wasnt around at the time and only noticed the next time i got on the bike and the handle bar was bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

One steel chain to lock em together do the job you think? Cheers for the advice folks!

Make as a many deterrents as you can. If it's a pain in the arse for you (and remember you own it) then your doing a good job.

Pop a kill switch on it, lock it, lock whatever it is, leave it in gear, tracker etc.. Box it in with a car or something, so you've to move the car to get to the bike.

2 chains. If you only have 1 chain they'll get both bikes. 2 chains means you can lock the bikes to each other to make it more difficult to steal them. Try to lock them with nothing able to touch the ground that way it's difficult for them to get leverage to break the lock or chain.

Advertisement