Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a New School

Options
  • 05-08-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm starting a new school this year (Going into 5th year) and I don't know anyone in the school I'm starting . I'm very worried as I get quite anxious and shy meeting new people. Im the type of person who won't talk to someone unless they start the conversation, just because of anxiety. Once I get to know someone even a little bit I'm fine, but I'm worried that people won't even approach me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to build confidence socially? I'm not looking to be really popular or anything, I just don't want to spend the next two years being a complete loner. Despite being shy, I'm quite a social person who likes hanging out with people. I get a knot in my stomach every time I even think about starting school. Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm starting a new school this year (Going into 5th year) and I don't know anyone in the school I'm starting . I'm very worried as I get quite anxious and shy meeting new people. Im the type of person who won't talk to someone unless they start the conversation, just because of anxiety. Once I get to know someone even a little bit I'm fine, but I'm worried that people won't even approach me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to build confidence socially? I'm not looking to be really popular or anything, I just don't want to spend the next two years being a complete loner. Despite being shy, I'm quite a social person who likes hanging out with people. I get a knot in my stomach every time I even think about starting school. Any advice is appreciated :)

I know you say you're shy and that but you should just make an effort to talk to someone on the first day (I know it's easier said then done!). Do your best to just introduce yourself to whoever you happen to end up sitting next to in your new class. I'm certain whoever it is will be nice enough that they'll chat away to you and will probably introduce you to their friends. Gradually you'll get to know more and more people. I come from a big enough school and we often had new people come in at various points from 1st to 6th year and it always happens like that. Just make one friend and you'll easily find more follow along. Best of luck with your new school :) I'm sure you'll get on great!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

I was like this in school aswell do u play sports at all that would be a great help as u could get to know ppl doing something u like and it will feel more at ease to talk to ppl.See if the school has any after school clubs join one would be a great way to talk to ppl in smaller groups.best of luck in your new school dont worry too much if you seem nice ppl will come up and talk too you

Advertisement