Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast or android box?

Options
  • 05-08-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

Need something for watching YouTube on my LG "Smart" TV which no longer is supported disappointingly.

So... Would you go for a chromecast or an android box? How do they compare price wise and which box would you get?

Wouldn't mind doing a bit of IPTV on the Android box also as the iptv app on the telly may go out of support soon too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

Which LG do you have, and when did you discover its no longer supported?
    Chromecast is really handy, but the android box might be more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

niallb wrote: »
    Which LG do you have, and when did you discover its no longer supported?
    Chromecast is really handy, but the android box might be more flexible.

42LM620T-ZE and just found out now about YouTube. Hadn't tried it in a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chefjom

I have both but haven't used the box in months. Chromecast can cast kodi as well and many other similar apps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Amazon Firestick is pretty excellent. It's the best compromise between an Android Box and Chromecast as you can install apps on it like kodi etc and also stream your phone screen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Chromecast has native support for Youtube, Netflix, All4, Mobdro and a few music/radio apps too (spotify, tunein, pocketcasts).

It handles the so-called "beta" browser casting pretty well too in my experience.

I've used an Android box in the past too, but found them to be unstable.

Chromecast is about €40 and works straight out the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Long term chromecast user here. Love it! Highly recommended for the price. Can handle pretty much everything I throw at it. I love that you can still use your phone while it's working too. Can imagine that's to do with having reasonably powered android phone too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

ianob7 wrote: »
    Long term chromecast user here. Love it! Highly recommended for the price. Can handle pretty much everything I throw at it. I love that you can still use your phone while it's working too. Can imagine that's to do with having reasonably powered android phone too though.
    You mean when using Youtube or Nerflix? That's because the Chromsecast itself has those apps installed on it, and the phone is basically just acting as a remote, telling the CC apps what content to fetch.

Advertisement