Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic question and laptop question

Options
  • 05-08-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm going to study social studies in September grade 5 for a year (to start with anyway). It's 20 years since I sat in a classroom! I'm wondering what would I bring in the first day. Like a hardback copy/foolscap? And pens. Or laptop? I presume I will need a laptop for college can anybody recommend one? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

sugarman wrote:
    What college is it?

Dunboyne college of further education

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most places will have an orientation day or days (particularly for non-school leavers) where they will go through all that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thedebatelad

I wish you the best of luck with your QQI course pal. As you've been out of education for a number of years I understand that the transition back to education won't be easy but I'm sure the college will support you in every aspect with that sort of thing. If writing isn't your strong point by all means discuss with your co-ordinator for the college to allow you to use a laptop otherwise you'll probably just need a pen and hardbacks. You will probably need to do very long assignments for the specific course you're doing so a laptop would definitely be required from that aspect regardless if you can actually use it in classtime or not.

I wouldn't personally have any laptop recommendations however feel free to go to a computer store and see what options there is there for you my friend i'm sure they'll help. Best of luck with your course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Hi, i went back to do a lev5 in social studies after 20 years. Have just completed my lev7 and going to do 4th year come September.

All you need for lectures are some pens and a refill pad. Depending on the college it may not have pc's that students could access so you will probably be better off getting something for using at home. Laptops were not allowed in class, too much hassle and distracting.

Advertisement