Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor's fees for purchasing a new build

Options
  • 05-08-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey folks,

New user here on Boards.

I've found some similar threads but none that are too up to date. Would really appreciate any advice that we can get.

We're in the process of buying a house and are currently pricing up solicitors. Advice I've gotten so far is just to make sure we get a decent one who knows what they're doing, as they can literally make or break the sale.

Quality aside, the ballpark quotations I've gotten are as follows:

House price: €295,000

Professional fee: €1,100
    VAT @ 23%: €260
    Stamp duty (minus builder's VAT): €2,600
    Deed: €700
    Opening folio: €75
    Mortgage: €175
    Folio: €5
    Search fees: €200
    Commissioner fees: €10
    Outlays: €20

Total: €5,145

Are these kind of prices okay? Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

I can't comment on a new house specifically. But the only one of the above the Solicitor has any control over is the professional fee (+vat). The rest are fees he/she has to pay on your behalf, and should be standard. The professional fee seems fine. There may be some other incidental expenses (not fees) to pay.

As you say, look for quality first, preferably a personal recommendation for conveyancing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seems normal.
    We pod €1000 plus vat as our professional fee and then all the usual outlays which the solicitor cannot control.

It used to be cheaper 10 years ago as the seed registration wasn't mandatory so you could save approx €700 but since 2011 or some year in and around then the deed registration became mandatory so it has to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Just checked against ours, discounting the stamp duty ours was €2290 as opposed to €2545 for yours. Ours came highly reccomended and was very pleasant and organised to deal with. PM me if you want her info.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Quoted €2k for solicitor fees buying a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harrybrown

Thanks a lot for your thoughts folks.

@paddytheman will definitely give you a shout for your solicitor's details, thanks.

@kathleenf, €2k does seem a pretty expensive for a new build based on the five or six quotes I've already gotten. Quality definitely matters but I'd imagine you can get something cheaper than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement