Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on separation agreement

Options
  • 05-08-2017 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am separating from my wife and have a query about getting a separation agreement.

I want to get a mortgage but my bank says I need this in place before an application will be considered.

Can an agreement be straightforward to get if there is nothing to dispute and both parties are in agreement..? There are no kids, no family home. The only assets are an investment property & savings which we each have built up separately over the years. We have agreed on these.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The agreement can be as easy or as hard as you and your ex want to make it.

You should seek out a mediator in your area and set up a meeting with them and your ex.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/separation_agreement.html

Mediation
    Mediation is not marriage counselling. Its purpose is not to help a couple to reconcile. Its purpose is to aid couples who have decided to separate to resolve any disputes they may have in relation to the key issues such as custody and access to children, maintenance and property rights. The mediator is neutral and encourages the separating couple to co-operate with each other in working out mutually acceptable arrangements that they will stick to. Any separating couple can avail of mediation, whether they are married or not. This includes same-sex couples.

Mediation normally takes up to six or seven sessions but this can vary depending on complexity. If agreement is reached, the mediator will draw up the terms of the agreement. It is recommended that people seek independent legal advice before signing the agreement.

Mediation is confidential and any communication with a mediator is not admissible if agreement is not reached and there are subsequent court proceedings.

It is advisable for couples who opt for mediation to ensure that they obtain legal and financial advice before attending mediation so that they know their rights and can make informed decisions.

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/Contact-Us/Find-a-Mediation-Office/

On the right is a list of mediation offices in Ireland. You shouldn't be too far from one.

Advertisement