Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born in U.K. adopted in Ireland, find birth cert

Options
  • 05-08-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I was born in the U.K. and adopted at approx 3 months in Cork through St Anne's I think. I have no other info about location in U.K., just says UK on my birth certificate. I think I have the names my birth mother called me and birth weight. In my head, my birth mother was sent to the UK to give birth and I was sent/brought back here for adoption. The other option of course is that my parents were English, wondering though would it have been common for English babies to be sent to Ireland for adoption?
    Would there be copies of my original birth certificate in Werburgh st or is it just irish birth certs that they have there?
    Not sure if I want to trace or not so wondering how easy it would be or is it harder automatically for me being born abroad.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

Hi NutMegGirl,

I found this bit of information on the adoption rights alliance website:

St Anne’s Adoption Society is now closed and files are held by the HSE - enquiries to:

Adoption Department
    Unit 4
    South Ring Business Park
    Kinsale Road
    Cork
    Tel: 021 – 4927250

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi,
    Most likely your mother was an irish girl living in UK, your birth would be registered in UK so your birth cert will not be in GRO.
    If you have your first name you can search the UK records for a baby born in UK with mothers surname the same.
    Then order certs from GRO UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

Yes, and it should be easier for you to follow up a UK birth cert as you can search online

I've used a site called ukbmdsearch (this is only my 2nd post so can't post a full link yet)

The latter day saints have a good site too (familysearch) which goes to 1958 for IRISH searches

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Thanks a mill
    I 'll look at those websites and write to the HSE in Cork too. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Hi, I was also born in UK and brought back to Ireland to be adopted through St Anne's (I was adopted at 3.5 mths) - I began tracing back in 2005 as when I first met with the social worker in HSE Cork, they told me that my original files were with the Catholic Children's Society in London (they arranged a lot of the adoptions and transfers back to Ireland for Irish mothers and their babies) - it is worth contacting them to see if they hold your original file

http://www.cathchild.org.uk/our-services/post-adoption/

My BM was Irish but was studying in London at the time of my birth. I spent the first 6 weeks with her at a Mother and baby home in London and was then brought back to Ireland, there was a delay in the adoption as my BM found it really difficult to sign the papers which is why I was 3.5 mths.
    Best of luck and if you need any more info just let me know or you can PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has the birth indexes up to 1983.

You can also do limited seearching on the UK GRO's own site but you need to register first: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Their certificates cost £9.75 each and they are full legal copies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement