Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Nugent and Anne Marie Waters?

• 05-08-2017 11:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hello people of Ireland,
    Mick Nugent, the voice and face of Atheist Ireland  "publically dissociated itself from the hurtful and dehumanizing, hateful and violen, unjust and defamatory rhetoric of atheist blogger PZ Myers", yet stays associated with far-right hatemonger Anne Marie Waters of UKIP and Pegida. Can anyone explain this hypocrisy to me?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe he'll be able to answer your question/accusation himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Can anyone explain this hypocrisy to me?
    Can you explain what you are annoyed about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First post to have a bitch about someone rings alarm bells for me. Burden is on the OP to provide considerably more substance than is in that post IMHO

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Hello people of Ireland,
    Evening Jonas -

On behalf of the people of Ireland, can I suggest that if you have an issue with Atheist Ireland, I suggest you contact Atheist Ireland via their website here. Similarly, you've an issue with Michael Nugent, then feel free to contact him via his personal website here and I'm sure he'll be happy to reply to you.

With respect to the rest of your post, the last "association" between AI and Ms Waters that I can find, at least via a quick search, was at a conference here in Dublin in 2013. A second quick search suggests that Ms Waters developed her more unpleasant, generally contradictory, frequently idiotic, views she now claims to hold subsequent to that conference so it's not at all clear what "association" you're referring to - you might wish to provide some more concrete details and in the absence of any evidence, and noting that this is the first post you've made on boards under this login, I've changed the thread title to something less inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

For the benefit of other members here, the OP is by someone who says he is Swedish and living in Sweden. He calls himself redacted on Twitter. He has been tweeting at and about me and Atheist Ireland for several years.

Some of his highlights: he calls me “native/hetero/male/middle class/white @micknugent,” he says American murderer Craig Hicks is my “fellow traveller,” and he says I align myself with “UKIP anti-Islam fanatics” and have alliances with “Islamophobic US Christian-Right Organisations.”

This is one of several Twitter accounts (some closer to home) which I initially reacted to by engaging in good faith. I then ceased to engage with them, when I concluded that they had no interest in rational dialogue. I’ll maintain that policy here. Normal service can now resume.

Edit: I have deleted my reference to redacted being a troll Twitter account. In fairness, he may well believe the bizarre allegations he is making. But, while I was initially engaging with him, I found him resistant to rational dialogue about his claims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

..living in Sweden
    Ah Sweden... it used to be a great country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thread closed as it is against Boards rules to identify posters and this discussion is not going anywhere useful.

For the benefit of other members here, the OP [...] has been tweeting at and about me and Atheist Ireland for several years.
    A quick visit to twitter suggests that Michael's analysis is probably correct - one of the accounts includes insinuations identical to the ones made above, but obsessively over the course of years, without evidence, without decency and without ceasing.

As the JonasSpooner account was created just a few days back, I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be banned permanently from A+A for a drive-by posting which violates the first rule in the forum charter. I also suspect that the poster in question is a re-reg in any case as the angry prose style and the wild-eyed accusations levelled are familiar from a few years back.

Further digging suggests beyond much doubt that JonasSpooner is a re-reg of famously combative user who was site-banned some years ago. Boards administrator dudara has kindly site-banned JonasSpooner.

Interesting to see that this is the second site-banned user who has, in the last couple of months, created a new account and returned to their old stomping groups to stomp around a little more. Last time it was 'FA Hayek' (see here, previous login withheld) and this time it was JonasSpooner (previous login also withheld). Both, I imagine, would describe themselves as "strongly anti-Left" and as ever, I can't help but wonder why hard-right wingers who, to judge from their output, one would expect to value abiding by rules, but instead, seem to be the ones most willing to break them.

As before, a big thanks to the helpful, eagle-eyed forum poster who noticed a possible link which was subsequently confirmed to the satisfaction of forum mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement