Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to identify plant Please

Options
  • 04-08-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone tell me what this is please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It looks like some sort of corn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Looks like rice-

stock-photo-ear-of-rice-isolated-on-white-background-343826519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kali291

Thank you! Think it probably is rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Weird, I was told rice wont' grow in Ireland, we don't get a long enough hot spell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

DuMorph wrote: »
    Looks like rice-

That's a first for me, nice one. For some reason I've never seen a rice plant before.

Will be very interesting to see if you can ripen.it fully and cook it.

Can you show the pot you are growing it in please? Does it need a lot of water. Where did you u get it? When did you plant it? It looks very healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kali291

Oldtree wrote:

Oldtree wrote:
    Can you show the pot you are growing it in please? Does it need a lot of water. Where did you u get it? When did you plant it? It looks very healthy.

Oldtree wrote:
    That's a first for me, nice one. For some reason I've never seen a rice plant before.

The plant is actually growing in my sister's garden in the UK (Suffolk). Nobody planted it - it just appeared and she left it to flower to find out what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Oldtree wrote: »

That's just a stock photo I found on google; the plant looked familiar from watching a documentary about the river Ganges-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭macraignil

kali291 wrote: »
    The plant is actually growing in my sister's garden in the UK (Suffolk). Nobody planted it - it just appeared and she left it to flower to find out what it was.

The grains on the stock photo of the rice look longer to me but this could be just down to the stage of maturity being different. Not convinced it is rice if you say it has free seeded itself in Suffolk. There are thousands of grass varieties and I think it's more likely to be some variety of ornamental grass from a neighbors garden. Might be worth looking over her neighbors wall to see if they have something similar and if so ask them what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

<Insert paddy joke here>

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I did a quick bit of research on Google Images and it appears there is a variety of rice that has those round grains.

• Advertisement

The leaves look all wrong for it to be rice, imo. Rice tends to grow from the base rather than off the stem, IIRC.

IMG_0215.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Check out millet.

looksee wrote: »
    Check out millet.

Bingo, I'd say. Seeded from a bird feeder, most like.

Advertisement