Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Atlantic Way

Options
  • 04-08-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭

So the father in law and I are driving over from Switzerland next month (just booked the ferry) to do some of the wild atlantic way (mainly for the driving/views, not too bothered about the tourist attractions for the most part).

Has anyone done much of it by bike? Will we need to reserve bnb's/ hotels in advance or is it fairly calm in September along the route?

Any one have any must do sections?

It will be my first long motorbike holiday (have only done long weekend ones) so general all comments/ advice also appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For me you have got to head to Kerry and work your way up, make Dingle a priority its the nicest part of this island by a mile. I did the wild atlantic way by car and it is very nice have to do it by bike real soon. But if you start in Kerry and work up through Clare and Galway it will be a super ride.

Id say you would be fairly safe in September in relation to somewhere to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd definately include West Cork in the route, less touristy/traffic and views are equally as spectacular as West Kerry.
    Ring of Beara is a great ride, over the Healy Pass is not to be missed either.
    You could do it as a figure 8 and head into Kerry then and up the west coast.
    Ring of Kerry has a lot of coach traffic which can make riding not as pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Kerry as a starting point is a must. Its the best part IMHO. I do it yearly, book B&B's as we get towards the end of the day and where ever I stop. You'll always find somewhere outside of the major towns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Also agree on Kerry, slea head drive around dingle is beautiful. Go to Killarney too and head out to molls gap and down through the black valley also.
    Only did west cork in the car but as said above well worth it.

Sounds like quite a trip I am jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Was down in Kinsale recently and think we'll start there and work our way up. Cheers for the above , will see to including the spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Kerry is grand but too many coaches and traffic to make driving a pleasure, Sligo, Mayo and Donegal have all the scenery and roads that Kerr has, but without all the bus loads of tourists, that's been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

+10 on Donegal, way quieter roads, all the scenery, just mind the lunatic drivers.

Glenveigh a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

how long for? you could do the whole lot

how long for? you could do the whole lot
    Only a week in ireland itself but will also be stopping by the plowing championships to see what the fuss is all about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

How long would you need to do the complete stretch, have Wales pencilled in for this year but would like to do the Atlantic way next year, wouldn't be rushing it, would like to be able to take my time and stop plenty.

• Advertisement

BKtje wrote: »
    Only a week in ireland itself but will also be stopping by the plowing championships to see what the fuss is all about :p

Answer me this, you already live on heavens doorstep! Why on earth come over here......lmao.

Have you seen the whole of Toblerone Land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Answer me this, you already live on heavens doorstep! Why on earth come over here......lmao.

Obviously someone with a rain fetish :D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Are you an Irish Expat OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I haven't done the lot at all but I would guess that you could do it in a week but it would take at least 2 weeks to do it right... but that's a complete guess..

I've never classed myself as an expat but I guess it fits the bill.

Father in law loves ireland (like a lot of the swiss actually) and I've never driven around Ireland so pretty much a once in a lifetime trip kinda thing. I've done large sections of toblerone land (:D) but always good to keep mixing things up. Haven't even done Italy or France yet but thought i might as well start in the homeland :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

BKtje wrote: »
    I've never classed myself as an expat but I guess it fits the bill.

Father in law loves ireland (like a lot of the swiss actually) and I've never driven around Ireland so pretty much a once in a lifetime trip kinda thing. I've done large sections of toblerone land (:D) but always good to keep mixing things up. Haven't even done Italy or France yet but thought i might as well start in the homeland :)

How did you end up with so many posts on an Irish forum?
    Seems a bit random.

Just make sure you have the anti depressants handy for the drivers in this country mate, its unlike any other.

Sorry for slow reply, very busy in work. I'm Irish but just never considered myself as an expat as I moved for love not work (bull**** reasoning i know :D ).

Have a look online at the Heritage sites around Meath BK, if you want when you are over I can show you around them. Its a very very rich county full of history (some people love all that, or you dad might) it could break up the trip a bit for you instead of riding flat out to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're going from Dublin, surely the best way would be to do the north antrim coast and around to Donegal that way. But it adds an extra day.

• Advertisement

We land in Rosslare and are going straight to kilkenny before heading south to cork and onwards. I'll definitely squeeze in Donegal since quite a few of you recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Antrim, coast rd :

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Most people recommend going anti-clockwise on Ring of Kerry, this is the same direction a the tour buses so you don't meet them.

Lot's of nice scenery in Clare as well. I think the biggest mistake you could make is to try and do too much of it and not stop and enjoy the scenery, food, pints and craic. If you were to try and do it all "properly" you would be wrecked and fed up by the end of it.

I would break it down into 2 holidays :D Do Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Clare this trip, maybe finish in Galway.

Next trip Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Basically, you need 6 months to do it right :D

Not sure work nor the pocket would allow much more than what's planned haha. Cheers for rust vid of Antrim. Will check it out as soon as I can

Advertisement