Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statement of text messages

Options
  • 03-08-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to ask this but hopefully someone can help....
    Is it possible to get a statement or printout of sent/ received text messages from your mobile phone provider? Probably looking to go back 18 months or so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, but some will make it more difficult than others.

Ask, if they say no, submit a data protection request for all info relating to yourself.

EDIT: Sorry, Should be clear. There will be a log of When and Who, not what (Message contents)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Are you looking for the actual text messages or just the phone numbers ? If the former, this would have to come from your phone itself AFAIK. Can't imagine any chance of getting them from your provider, unless it was the Gardai for a serious crime, and only maybe in that case.

If it's the sent numbers + date and time, it depends on the network and whether you're bill pay or pay as you go. If you have the Vodafone app, you can see the numbers sent there, but not those received. Again, your phone is the only chance for those you've received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

No its the actual content of the messages that is required.
    It is to do with a situation that may or may not end up going down the legal route.
    Could a solicitor request the information i wonder?
    The person i am asking on behalf of still has the same phone for years but not sure what network he is with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

If you're on bill pay you can get sent ones and even then only those sent through the phone itself (not through WhatsApp, Facebook messenger etc)
    You wouldn't be able to get a log of received messages.

Just the number and the time and date sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

heldel00 wrote: »
    No its the actual content of the messages that is required.
    It is to do with a situation that may or may not end up going down the legal route.
    Could a solicitor request the information i wonder?
    The person i am asking on behalf of still has the same phone for years but not sure what network he is with.

No there's no record kept of message content it's nothing to do with billing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op you can buy and download software to recover deleted texts from your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

davo10 wrote: »
    Op you can buy and download software to recover deleted texts from your phone.

Does the phone automatically delete messages itself after a certain length of time? Its an iphone 4 if that makes any difference.
    Could you guide a very untechy person towards this software or would it be better to get an IT expert involved in case i eff it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Advertisement