Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA course/module - uncertain about what I need?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I am hoping to train as an SNA. All of the courses I see only seem to offer one module which is confusing me. Is there an actual SNA full course with all modules on offer?

I have a post grad (level 9) in Early Childhood Care and Education and a cert in childcare/Montessori- would this plus the modules be enough to qualify me as an SNA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

The only legal requirement education wise that you need is your Junior Cert. However with your qualifications I'd say you would definitely be a great candidate for SNA jobs. However a lot of schools do like to see that SNA's have done a SNA course. This can be done with the College of Progressive Education or the Portobello Institute among others. They cover topics on special needs that may not be covered in childcare courses. If you can, try get subbing or voluntary experience in local schools to get yourself known to schools. Also, if you can try to do courses in Lamh, PECS, RBT, play therapy, floor time, first aid, etc. All of these qualifications will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

hayser wrote: »
    The only legal requirement education wise that you need is your Junior Cert. However with your qualifications I'd say you would definitely be a great candidate for SNA jobs. However a lot of schools do like to see that SNA's have done a SNA course. This can be done with the College of Progressive Education or the Portobello Institute among others. They cover topics on special needs that may not be covered in childcare courses. If you can, try get subbing or voluntary experience in local schools to get yourself known to schools. Also, if you can try to do courses in Lamh, PECS, RBT, play therapy, floor time, first aid, etc. All of these qualifications will stand to you.

Thanks Hayser - I have a few certs in some of the above but some of them I will deffo look into - very helpful, thank you.

Advertisement