Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spin off - What's allowed in the speculation threads

Options
  • 03-08-2017 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

....... wrote: »
    It's all made clear in the opening post on this thread.
    Nody wrote: »
    Preempting the upcoming season by including some highlights from the charter.

This is ONLY about the specific season shown on TV! Information from any other non book source are allowed to be posted with SPOILER tags. Such information has to directly relate to the season however and be clearly marked as for example "DVD lore from Season X relating to matter Y"
    Lore and conclusions go here

This means book readers are allowed to post but they can not reference ANYTHING from the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's all made clear in the opening post on this thread.
    Yep. Or you can read the charter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The comments below are in response as a GoT forum moderator on what can and can not be discussed on the specific threads (Episode X and Speculation season 7). To avoid further derailing I've broken it out to a new thread.
    No; it has to be spoiler tagged in this thread or alternatively you're free to create a new thread (without spoilers in the title) to discuss them without using spoiler tags.
    As this is a speculation thread I would personally have thought it was fine to discuss pics from trailers as they tell nothing really on their own and its hard to know how people would have avoided fully trailers or pics from upcoming episodes unless they do not use the internet or read news sites etc...
    Quite a few users do exactly that intentionally hence the strict implementation here to accommodate it.
    Currently we have 2 episode threads split by readers and non readers - which seems overkill to me at this stage.
    Yet the non book readers think it's not and the split is kept. The main driver being many current non book readers may take up reading the books down the line and don't want to spoiler the stories ahead.
    Its starting to feel like this forum is just not a friendly or useful place to discuss GoT with the amount of rules about what can be discussed where.
    This forum is specifically set up to discuss GoT and we've set up specific threads for people to discuss GoT without seeing spoilers if they wish to do so. It's also possible for people to speculate to their hearts content about the trailer, the stolen script released etc. however not in the threads specifically set up to avoid such spoilers. If you wish to discuss the next episode trailer, the stolen script etc. you can create a new thread and do so to your hearts content and anyone who wish to discuss it there can then not come and complain about spoilers afterwards (but no spoilers in the thread title obviously).

Forgot to add; this thread is exempt from the usual rules around discussion moderation on thread etc. for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; as long as there is no obvious spoiler tag in the headline such as "OMG John Snow kills Sansa in episode 6!!1"
    It just seems like its quite stifling because (a) a lot of people wouldnt be bothered therefore they just wont be discussed and (b) the pics that prompted this discussion (not posted by me) were interesting in the context of speculation so without that surrounding context Im not sure there is an interesting thread to be had about them just on their own.
    I'm a book reader; the first time I posted in this forum I got a yellow for posting in the non book reader thread (no spoilers) and I thought it was a stupid split at the time. I'm personally still not a fan of it today however as a forum moderator it's not about what I want but what will work for the majority and still be in line with the boards general charter. Non book readers wanted the split; book readers wanted to post in the non book readers thread and what we got today is the best compromise we could think off (and always open to change between seasons as we'll have another forum feedback thread once episode 7 comes out to prepare changes for season 8).
    However, restrictive rules it is - at least now we know we can open new threads and discuss such content.

Cheers for the response.
    They are very restrictive; we're probably one of the tightest moderated forums on the site (and that's not even going into the things we've asked around in preparation for season 8 season finale to avoid spoilers :P ) but it's tight because a majority of users requested it to be as spoiler free as possible. That's why we got the specific spoiler free threads we set up to accommodate them but that does not mean people can't start a thread to speculate on John Snow's parentage (yes I know we did it for 4 pages in the non book reader speculation thread already) for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Dunk and Egg or Roberts Rebellion, either arc would be interesting. There are so many knights and characters we know only by name, seeing them on screen would be so good. Seeing the mad king is what I look forward to most.

Advertisement