Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Ultimate Peak Challenge

Options
  • 03-08-2017 1:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://killarneypeakschallenge.com

Has anybody signed up for this year or done it before?

Looks like a decent challenge. 25km with a height gain of 2500m and some great scenery including 'The Big Gun' and 'Beenkeragh Ridge'.

Looking forward to it myself, just hoping to get a few longer walks in before the 26th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

http://killarneypeakschallenge.com

Has anybody signed up for this year or done it before?

Looks like a decent challenge. 25km with a height gain of 2500m and some great scenery including 'The Big Gun' and 'Beenkeragh Ridge'.

Looking forward to it myself, just hoping to get a few longer walks in before the 26th.

i'm all for fundraisers etc, but TBH if i'm paying €100 for a hike its going to be a fundraiser for a mountain rescue team, not for a club.

Look at what the wayfarers do for the Blackstairs Challenge, €22 and that's perfect.

Even the Tom Crean is a bit pricey at €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i'm all for fundraisers etc, but TBH if i'm paying €100 for a hike its going to be a fundraiser for a mountain rescue team, not for a club.
    Where does it say it's a fundraiser for a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rocky mountain

I agree, € 100 to hike the reeks is crazy. Organisations are trying to monetise access to the mountains. Fight it! There are loads of affordable challenge walks such as the Backstairs, Knockmildown and Commeragh challenge, well run, good food and crack. Ill continue to support these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Alun wrote: »
    Where does it say it's a fundraiser for a club?

Then it's being run as a business. Let's just say I wouldn't be supporting it. Not at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Organisations are trying to monetise access to the mountains. Fight it!
    OK, whilst I agree €95 is a bit steep for something like that, it's something of a giant leap from that to claim that mysterious "organisations" are trying to charge people for access to the mountains isn't it?

If you don't want to go on it then don't, nobody is forcing you to pay to enter it to walk the reeks are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rocky mountain

No Leap at all, this organisation “killarneypeakschallenge” is charging € 95 for a reeks traverse. A competent navigator can do this route for free, I am merely pointing out that if people are looking for a well stewarded “Challenge” walk, there are loads of others , which are much better value . Google “Irish Challenge Walks” for one in your area.

I think pretty much all the Killarney events, Run Killarney, Killarney Marathon, The Gauntlet, The High Peak Challenge etc. are commercial ventures. I have nothing against that per se, but €95 is a bit eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No Leap at all, this organisation “killarneypeakschallenge” is charging € 95 for a reeks traverse. A competent navigator can do this route for free, I am merely pointing out that if people are looking for a well stewarded “Challenge” walk, there are loads of others , which are much better value . Google “Irish Challenge Walks” for one in your area.

It's one thing to overcharge for access to a stewarded event.

It's another thing to restrict access to the mountains.

The mountains will be accessible whether one pays for participation in the event or not.

So it is a leap to suggest that people are monetising access to the mountains. There is no additional restriction on access to the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I did the challenge this year, i thought the price was fair enough considering the number of trained marshals who were on the peaks, the access to the campsite, buses, the goodie back containing at least 15-20 euro worth of energy food and drink, free meal (basically an all you can eat bbq) and free drink along with a band and marquee after the event.

And yes, there were people on the peaks who were walking the mountains who weren't part of the event so the argument that this is monetizing the mountains is a bit redundant! We all had a choice and they took the free choice so more power to them!

And why should all events like this have to be a fundraiser for something? The people who organise these kinds of things also need to make a living and if they make a small profit (given the level of organisation i observed i would imagine the margins are fairly small) then good on them. Their time also should also come with a cost. You can be assured that any money they do make is going back into the community in some way, for example the promotion of their business that brings tourists and enthusiasts to the area.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

This was my second year doing it. Weather was much better this time....

Still absolutely hate the slog from the gap of Dunloe up to Cruach Mor, never ending!

Completed in just under 12 hours this time, big improvement from last year....Looking forward to next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

done it also - was tough going - thought it well organised...good safety with it also.  first time going over the ridge at the big gun... probably do it again!

Advertisement