Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three or Eir billapy or sim free for iPhone?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Looking at the iphone 7 plus and unsure whether to go eir or three billpay or just buy it sim free. Looking for advice personal experiences and recommendations thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would you buy your car from Applegreen? If no there's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

ED E wrote: »
    Would you buy your car from Applegreen? If no there's your answer.

Makes no sense but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

3 - generally cheaper, but the network is far, far worse - lots of threads here about it

eir - better network, but their billing/customer service is atrocious. It took them over 2 MONTHS to clear up a billing issue for me lately (not the first time I've had those kind of issues either with them), and then only because I got Comreg involved

Vodafone - the most expensive/poorest value of the lot, but their network is generally the best. Customer care not great though

Tesco/Virgin/48 etc - all piggy-backing on the 3 network, which is half the problem

As I've said before, we really have very poor choices in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

thank you kaiser very informative post thanks again. Im swinging towards eir at the minute currently with three.. never had a problem with them really eir seem to offer a better package for my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

thank you kaiser very informative post thanks again. Im swinging towards eir at the minute currently with three.. never had a problem with them really eir seem to offer a better package for my needs

That's what I thought too...

Moved from 3 to a Billpay plan on eir in April

- Over a week later the port still hadn't been completed, meaning I was missing calls from native 3 users (former O2 users came through fine)

- Numerous calls to eir left me being passed between departments with disinterested kids giving a different story every time. I eventually rang Corporate support and they at least got the number released so I could port back out

- However, the refunds for the phone and a deposit weren't processed and the account still showed me paying for a mobile service I no longer had. This went on for about 6 weeks (again despite repeated calls)

- At that point, I got Comreg involved. 2 days later I had a call from someone in eir who resolved the entire mess in an hour.. but it shouldn't be necessary to go to those lengths

Not the first time either.. years ago when I was with them too they kept suspending my account every month after they'd fail to take the direct debit at all, or not the right amount. 45 minute calls to customer care would follow where they'd be at a loss to explain it and refund me a month's charges as goodwill.

It all came to a head when they locked it out again despite being over €200 in credit (as a result of their refunds). At that stage eircom corporate and Comreg were involved and it was finally sorted out.

My mistake this time was thinking things might have improved in the intervening years - Never again.

But, Vodafone aren't much better to be honest... trying to port out from them a few years ago resulted in double charges and loss of service for days. It wasn't until I got a letter from their credit control department demanding payment (incorrectly) that I finally got a switchboard number (they make it incredibly hard to get them on the phone) and finally had it sorted out.

Your mileage may vary of course, but as I say, in this country it's a matter of deciding which is the least worst, rather than best. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement