Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic scooter, is it allowed in Ireland ?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

I want to buy an electronic scooter ( 120W , 16km/hr) but not sure if it's allowed in Dublin and what's the limit in term of power and speed.

Guarda sent me a doc but it's still not clear if i need a license or not

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If its pedal assisted then its ok, if it can move off on its own then now imo

What type?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure how invalid tricycles get around the rules, it might be that they have a low maximum speed but if your scooter can do 10 mph then you will need a driving licence and insurance.

In the past few weeks I have seen two photos of confiscated bikes on the Garda Twitter feed, one was a regular adult bicycle with a small internal combustion engine fitted to it by the owner, the other was something like your machine, an electric scooter.

Edit: Found the scooter tweet .....

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/890477022245519361

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louisdpb

The vehicle seized is able to go up to 50km/h and make sense to have a licence but mine is able to go up to 16 only.

My scooter can either be used mechanically or boosted by electricity.

What make and model is it?

Because I am new on this board , I can't send you a link but it's on hifi-tower .ie

Electric E-scooter V8 120W 16 km/h Rechargeable Battery

• Advertisement

louisdpb wrote: »
    The vehicle seized is able to go up to 50km/h and make sense to have a licence but mine is able to go up to 16 only.

People in invalid tricycles clearly do not need a driving licence or insurance but I can't find the regulations which says what maximum speed triggers the requirement.
    My scooter can either be used mechanically or boosted by electricity.

Ok but the law says that it is a mechanically propelled vehicle.....

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—

(a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,

(b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

Because I am new on this board , I can't send you a link but it's on hifi-tower .ie

Electric E-scooter V8 120W 16 km/h Rechargeable Battery

So it's this machine then...

http://www.hifi-tower.ie/Electric-E-scooter-V8-120W-16-km/h-Rechargeable-Battery_i1020.htm

I was scanning the description and surprised that there was no big bullet making the claim that you didn't need a driving licence when I spotted this, it probably answers your question...

Please be aware that this item is for recreational purposes only. It is not intended to be driven on the road.

but I already saw some guys going to work with an electronic scooter so perhaps there is an exception.

I'll go ask guarda directly and will let you know

Thanks

but I already saw some guys going to work with an electronic scooter so perhaps there is an exception.

Darwinian natural selection will sort them out. You'd need your head examined to drive one of those to work, ordinary cycling is dangerous enough as it is. Those tiny wheels mean that you will not be able to react and get out of the way in time if something happens suddenly ahead of you.

Fine but do not ask the guy behind the counter in your local Garda station. Talk to the traffic guys, their cars are clearly marked because remember, it's one of them that will pull you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks

AFAIK there is no exemption - the only exemptions are for Mobility Scooters and E-Bikes (where they can only provide pedal-assist, i.e. no throttle).

This thing would be no different to the one they confiscated in that tweet or a Segway which can only be used on private property.

Having said that, I think the guards should have better things to do than picking up people on low-powered personal transport devices like these or SoloWheels etc, but it only takes one officious guard to confiscate your scooter and give you a fine.

• Advertisement

There was one of those confiscated by the Gardaí on their twitter account a few weeks back

Borderfox wrote: »
    There was one of those confiscated by the Gardaí on their twitter account a few weeks back

+1 See post #3.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Having said that, I think the guards should have better things to do than picking up people on low-powered personal transport devices like these or SoloWheels etc, but it only takes one officious guard to confiscate your scooter and give you a fine.

The problem with those powered bikes (incl. Segways) is that the owners quickly realise that it's too dangerous to drive on the road so they go on the path instead. I'm more than happy for the Gardai to confiscate every last one of them.

As with the rickshaws downtown, what's supposed to happen when you get knocked down with a broken leg and you're out of work for a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coylemj wrote: »
    The problem with those powered bikes (incl. Segways) is that the owners quickly realise that it's too dangerous to drive on the road so they go on the path instead. I'm more than happy for the Gardai to confiscate every last one of them.

As with the rickshaws downtown, what's supposed to happen when you get knocked down with a broken leg and you're out of work for a month?

there's a big difference in size and weight between a rickshaw (or even a Segway) and the scooter linked in the OP. You could be knocked over by a jogger or trip over a dog lead and break your arm - you can't legislate for every risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not sure how invalid tricycles get around the rules, it might be that they have a low maximum speed but if your scooter can do 10 mph then you will need a driving licence and insurance.

You may be surprised to know that there is actually no exemption for invalid tricyles in Irish law.

However, in a 2013 HSE study it stated as per the RSA:-
    Wheelchair or mobility scooter users are in special circumstances as regards essential personal mobility needs arising from a disability and, as already stated, the wheelchair is therefore regarded as an extension of the person rather than as a mode of transport vehicle.

This would be in line with the rules on guide dogs that they are an extension of the person rather than a mobility aid and therefore can't be subject to a dogs licence or restrictions on movement such as access to a restaurant etc.

With regards to the speed, 2 and 3 wheel vehicles do not need a licence when the design speed is 25 km/h or lower. However as you already pointed out a MPV does require insurance/tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

GM228 wrote: »
    With regards to the speed, 2 and 3 wheel vehicles do not need a licence when the design speed is 25 km/h or lower. However as you already pointed out a MPV does require insurance/tax.

in what context for the first sentence, because all modern bikes have design speeds of well over 50...

The assistance stops at 25kmph on legal e-bikes

Advertisement