Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Medal

Options
  • 02-08-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My aunt has come across this medal from WWII in her attic and we are trying to figure out which relative it could be associated with.

She had an uncle who served during WWII and was at Dunkirk in 1940 and was on board the SS Lancastria when it was sunk on 17 Jun 1940. It was his 26th birthday on the day he died

Is there anywhere someone could point me to match it?

Let me know if you need any more info, but I'd like to see if I can find out any military records for him

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It looks like the 1939-45 service medal, awarded to any British subject who served for at least 28 days in either the armed services or the merchant marine during the second world war.

However, the ribbon is wrong. The ribbon looks like it comes from the 1939-45 service star, a different medal which was awarded to those who satisfied more demanding criteria - service of at least 180 days in an operational command, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You might have better luck with the military forum for this query - let me know if you want me to move it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It looks like the 1939-45 service medal, awarded to any British subject who served for at least 28 days in either the armed services or the merchant marine during the second world war.

However, the ribbon is wrong. The ribbon looks like it comes from the 1939-45 service star, a different medal which was awarded to those who satisfied more demanding criteria - service of at least 180 days in an operational command, etc.

Good catch on that, thanks for pointing that out. I'll see if she can check around for the Service Star medal as if there is a ribbon, there must be a medal to go with it somewhere
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    You might have better luck with the military forum for this query - let me know if you want me to move it.

Looks like I got some clarification, belonged to my grandmothers brother who served in the Royal Engineers in WWII

Advertisement