Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most Holy/most spiritual place you've ever visited?

Options
  • 02-08-2017 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

In a Biblical/Christian context of course.

The most spiritual place, or where you've felt spiritually moved.

I've visited sereral Holy shrines and places, but the one that stood out in my mind was the The Garden tomb, in Israel, outside the West gate of Jerusalem (overlooking the bus station). I actually felt moved in that I was in a very special place at the time, and I've never really had that feeling either before or after. It was special for me in that I really believed that Jseus had been laid to rest 'right there in this tomb' and I was there touching the actual stone!

The_Garden_Tomb_2008.jpg

I do realise that many of these locations/places are open to conjecture (is that really the actual burial place)??? but I guess that can be said for many 'special' Christian locations, so lets not snipe at each other, like my location is more authentic than yours :))

Looking 4ward to hearing your stories/experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

^^ I was about to post the very same place.
    There is in 2 places where they say he rested, one is above the other is in a Church in the Jerusalem old town.
    I was at both and have to say preferred the above place.

I saw a lot of people getting very emotional there.

3306215515_8d925aeea0_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My livingroom when I'm praying and the Presence of God descends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Similar!, the room I was in when I opened my heart and my life to Christ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While there are areas of beauty and grace, for instance Glendalough, for myself having a historical inclination it is in places where people have witnessed the faith. One key location is in central London in a quite park in sight of the Tower where St. Thomas was martyred. The spot has a small plaque to commemorate but it marks one of the large inflection points of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Locations where the faithful underwent persecution for the faith.

The Catacombs in Rome.
    St.Peters Square where it is said that St.Peter was crucified upside down.
    Mary's House in Turkey where it is said that Our Lady lived out the remainder of her life hiding from persecution.

St.Peter's Church in Drogheda said to be the site where thousands of people were killed by Cromwells army because of their faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

hinault wrote: »
    Locations where the faithful underwent persecution for the faith.

The Catacombs in Rome.
    St.Peters Square where it is said that St.Peter was crucified upside down.
    Mary's House in Turkey where it is said that Our Lady lived out the remainder of her life hiding from persecution.

St.Peter's Church in Drogheda said to be the site where thousands of people were killed by Cromwells army because of their faith.

It's actually my ancestors head that lies up in Drogheda:)
    A friend's ancestor killed him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

hinault wrote: »

This newspaper report casts serious doubt on the Cromwellian story :(
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/localnotes/cromwell-there-is-absolutely-no-solid-contemporary-evidence-that-civilians-were-killed-at-drogheda-27123593.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's actually my ancestors head that lies up in Drogheda:)
    I think you mean your relative's head. At least, I hope you do! Plunkett was celibate, so he shouldn't be anyone's ancestor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The middle of the Sea of Galilee was one such place in a number of such places visited in. It wasn't so much pure-spiritual (in the sense of occupying a space in the presence of God), rather, it was the sense of looking at the same topography and floating on the same sea that Jesus floated, and walked, upon.

The history was thick enough to cut with a knife in Israel - especially so in Jerusalem. Although the provenance of some of the sites was dubious, the spiritual sense of the place pervaded, even at some of those sites.

Sometimes there was a fragrance to it - God's footprints all over the place. Other times a stench - mans footprints all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Apple store on 5th Avenue. Many others made the same pilgrimage when that 1st iPad came out, folks of all walks of life and spoken languages, taking photos, queuing up and starring at amazement at the construct of the class cube of architectural delight.

There was on-site guidance from the cult leaders there, dressed in their matching 'peace blue' coloured tops and most helpful personas. Groups quietly spoke and whispered of the wonders of Mr Jobs, some people said he could freely levitate, and only needed distilled water for subsistence throughout his many works and creations.

When your card was finally swiped at the transaction station, and sales tax noted, your gift of deliverance was presented. Held out in front of you with both arms aloft in all glory. People paused and looked at the teller with their dreams and curiosity of what future would await, in this present of technological advancement.

Only joking, it was the nearby Cathedral of St. Patrick, also on 5th - which it seems had far, far less in attendance, than the Church of Apples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭EirWatchr

I’ve visited many churches and cathedrals on my travels on holidays, but the most spiritual place I’ve experienced is undoubtedly in Lourdes (around the grotto and basilica).

You see so many people there, from all parts of the world, having or lacking many abilities - from curious tourists, to the young and healthy student volunteers, and the medical professionals giving up their own holidays to tend to the sick, disabled, wheelchair or bed-bound. Those usually seen (or unseen) as weak or a burden or marginalised by everyday society are elevated there and treated as equal, no - in fact, they are made to feel special there. It is their place. There’s a feeling being there and seeing all that goes on that is hard to define; a foretaste of heaven on this earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

For me it has to be when Jesus is exposed in the blessed sacrament. So peaceful and times I just tell Him all my problems. I feel a sense of peace and contentment afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The grotto in Lourdes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Lourdes and Fatima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

The Catholic and Anglican shrines of Our Lady of Walsingham, in Norfolk.

xl_Untitled-1.jpg

blog?ShowFile&image=1339968121.jpg

Aerial%20shot%20jpg.jpg

Nat14ProcR.png

the-anglican-shrine-church-of-our-lady-of-walsingham-in-little-walsingham-D7AA5Y.jpg

holy.house.olw01.jpg

bullinn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

A visit to the ecumenical community of monks at Taizé in France almost 30 year’s ago still stands out as probably the most spiritually uplifting and inspirational experiences of my life. From the multilingual inscription over the door of the church (The Church of Reconciliation) as follows
    “ BE RECONCILED
    ALL YOU WHO ENTER HERE
    parents and children
    husbands and wives
    believers and those who
    cannot believe,
    Christians and their
    fellow Christian”
    to the simplicity of their liturgy and prayer, the simplicity of the church itself and the deep spirituality of the place.
    Yet to be surpassed in my experience anyway. Although it’s focused on youth, one day perhaps would love to make a return visit .
    How we need that message of reconciliation and acceptance now among those who believe and those who cannot believe ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MOD NOTE

Less of the off-topic goading, Emmet.

Please raise the standard of your contributions.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Knock as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I went to Fatima once while on holidays in Portugal. While not RC I was intrigued hearing so many stories from others who had visited.
    I'm sorry to say it was a bit disturbing , the consumerism element had taken over, and seemed relentless, especially the sale of wax copies of body parts which people were placing into fires as an offering to ease an ailment in the relevant part of their bodies.
    The lifelike wax babies were especially poignant, and spoke volumes about peoples hope and despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My bed for the same reason; chronic illness... "mine eyes prevent the night watches"

And yet many of the ancient abbey ruins if you catch them at a quiet time have retained the prayers that were iived there . Ross Errilly at Headford ... several others I "haunt" ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Medieval church ruins in Ardboe, Co.Tyrone overlooking Lough Neagh, there is also a high cross there.

The round tower in Antrim town was also quite haunting, the door high up to prevent the Vikings getting in, there also was red/blue spray paint on it from the local loyalist teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

I'm an atheist and remain so, if it matters...

I walked the Camino last year and was coaxed into going to the pilgrims Mass in the cathedral in Santiago on the last day of my wslk, first mass in over 20 years. Although there was no god moment, it was definitely spiritual, I was moved much more than I expected. I went in to be a spectator but ended up being quite emotional, it was a fitting end to the journey and I'm very glad I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

There's an old pagan site in the Burren near me, and it feel's very spiritual.
    I don't know if the lands more magnetic or there's some kind of leyline going through...

There's some lovely old church's I visit too.

Im agnostic but I do believe Jesus was a perfect human being, but I'm sceptical with the written word.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

I've been to several holy sites in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and Nazareth, but for me the closest I've ever felt to god was in Taize. I was there eight years ago during a tough period in my life, and I'm planning on going again this July. The sense of peace I felt there last time is something I've never felt anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Iona

Advertisement