Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for clear visor in the rain

Options
  • 02-08-2017 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Gave the visor a nice clean this morning, and some fresh Nikwax. Awesome on the motorway, rain just streamed off nicely, but after my ~20k run down the motorway, by the time I hit traffic for the last 5k of my commute, visibility was a bit crap again.

Any other tips or recomendations?

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive heard MrSheen works well. Obviously its not designed for this purpose but apparently it does the job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

could look at getting one of those finger wipe things like a squeegee

2013-aerostich-visor-wipe-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get gloves with a visor wipe built in. I don't bother with anything else, I might lift it in slow moving traffic or approaching a junction if visibility is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

51yR%2BOGASHL._SY355_.jpg

Shame not included.....................:D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Slow down and then accelerate really fast whilst shaking your head from left to right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Will check out gloves with a wipe built in.

Are tear offs overkill for this on daily use?
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Slow down and then accelerate really fast whilst shaking your head from left to right.
    I'm not short of head shaking driving around town these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

thos wrote: »
    Are tear offs overkill for this on daily use?

Id think so yes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any dirt gets on one of those squeegees, it'll scratch the visor. I actually have one on my current gloves but don't use it, the soft leather of the glove is safer.

Or get one of these stylish devices :D

424010.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you could have a tear off on and just leave it on and not worry about scratches with a squeegee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

If in slow moving traffic, open the visor, otherwise at faster speeds the wind should clear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Rain-X.

But take your time and do a good job applying 2 coats of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

thos wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Gave the visor a nice clean this morning, and some fresh Nikwax. Awesome on the motorway, rain just streamed off nicely, but after my ~20k run down the motorway, by the time I hit traffic for the last 5k of my commute, visibility was a bit crap again.

Any other tips or recomendations?

Cheers,
    Tom

Read some reviews from Amazon on the Nikwax stuff apparently it's susceptible to being wiped off by the rider. Apparently is holds up if you don't combine it with a visor wiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Tear offs....REALLY, major overkill.

Any good pair of winter gloves has a wiper blade on them that is usually good enough but you do need some product so the water does not pool if you get me.....its need to bead so you have better visability. Mr Sheen is very good as it does lay down a wax barrier but it does damage visors overtime but I find that by the time it does you are getting a new visor anyway.

I also bought some wax over at the NEC a few years ago, just smear it on lightly and it lasts the day good stuff it is. I will dig it out and post the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Do people really go to this much effort to clear rain from their visor? Was unaware that this was such a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its a very good idea for the middle of winter, when the weather is really bad.

For light showers and the like its not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Gtechniq G5, will last longer than rainX. It's more durable.
    Why use Gtechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass and Perspex?

With non factory applied glass coatings there is a direct trade off between longevity and repellency.

G5 offers maximum repellency, but is less durable than our G1 ClearVision Smart Glass coating. Water will blow off car screens at speeds as low as 30mph and on vertical glass water will roll off and leave a virtually spotless surface.

Any glass coated in G5 will stay cleaner for longer and any contaminants such as bugs, bird droppings and ice will be easier to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

zubair wrote: »
    Do people really go to this much effort to clear rain from their visor? Was unaware that this was such a big problem.

Exactly! I never apply anything to my visor other than tissue paper and spit to get the bugs off!

Shoei hard coated visors are great, easily last the life of the helmet, my last lid was almost 11 years old when I replaced it :eek: visor was perfect, and I commute every day year round

Most of my riding is in town, so usually not going fast enough for wind to clear off raindrops. I just wipe it with the gloved finger (left when I'm moving, right when I'm stopped - if I use the left finger all the time it starts to leak :) ) and it clears it almost as good as a squeegee without the risk of scratching.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Try some IPA (isopropyl alcohol), safety glass cleaner instead of wiping it off let it dry itself, always works for me and I ride 365...inside I use shaving foam, stops the misting, very effective in the dark ! I change my lid every three years and get two visors with it, probably cost a few bob more but I'd rather pay than suffer the frustration of a bad commute in the rain and cold. Zubair...to me its not not such a big problem, but it can be annoying and frustrating especially in traffic. BTW my daily commute is 120km when working at home in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

nlrkjos wrote: »
    BTW my daily commute is 120km when working at home in winter

:🀔
    :confused

Kawalski wrote: »
    :��
    :confused

Yeah I know...confused !!! Sorry,by home I mean Ireland, I work at sea for a lot of the year.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Yeah I know...confused !!! Sorry,by home I mean Ireland, I work at sea for a lot of the year.:o

Ah, ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

You're gonna need more than nikwax at sea

You're gonna need more than nikwax at sea

Vaseline helps :eek:

Advertisement