Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Everyday Nappy Sacks

Options
  • 02-08-2017 5:08am

This is sort of a bargain alert and sort of me asking why there can be such a difference between prices in the North and South.
    Friends had their first baby a few months ago so filled the car with stuff that was cheaper in the North as a gift, as I wont be around.

Many things were drastically cheaper in the North but nappy sacks were the worst. 35p (39.10c) in the North, €1.99 in the South, for the same pack. Transport, taxes etc might make a little difference but to be over 500% more expensive?!?
    Can anyone explain this to me?

nsi.png
    nsuk.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This is sort of a bargain alert and sort of me asking why there can be such a difference between prices in the North and South.
    Friends had their first baby a few months ago so filled the car with stuff that was cheaper in the North as a gift, as I wont be around.

Many things were drastically cheaper in the North but nappy sacks were the worst. 35p (39.10c) in the North, €1.99 in the South, for the same pack. Transport, taxes etc might make a little difference but to be over 500% more expensive?!?
    Can anyone explain this to me?

nsi.png
    nsuk.png

We have a plastic bag levy here that's way above what it is in the north, might be related to such a vast price difference , not sure.

Anyway, I just dropped in to say that nappy sacks make a cheaper and better alternative to dog poo bags from the pet shops etc. :)

Surely that would need to apply across the range though.
    Tesco My Baby's Nappy Bags 75s - 73c vs 80p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    We have a plastic bag levy here that's way above what it is in the north, might be related to such a vast price difference , not sure.

Anyway, I just dropped in to say that nappy sacks make a cheaper and better alternative to dog poo bags from the pet shops etc. :)

100%. Much better quality plastic in a lot of cases also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Moved from Bargain Alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that particular product on sale? It seems odd that the two other nappy sack products they sell are pretty much the same price in ireland and the uk. The irish prices are actually slightly lower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Doesn't apply to these products

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

as above doesn't apply. I remember seeing a guy scan through bin liners first in tesco, the proceed to open them up and put his other shopping in them.

Other UK supermarkets might have them a lot cheaper so they would try an price match them. If dunnes & supervalu and all the rest here are charging over the odds they would be quite foolish to sell them at a hugely discounted rate.

Some supermarkets appear to sell particular products very cheaply so they will do well in price comparisons. e.g. the cheapest sugar in tesco is tesco own brand caster sugar, usually only 5-6 bags on the shelf in mine. They heavily promote the value granulated sugar, there would be a pallet with hundreds of bags of that.

I can see the same tesco pack of 75 nappy sacks is 73cent here but 80p (90cent) in the UK (just see now this was mentioned).

250 is 1.50 in dealz
    http://www.dealz.ie/nappy-bags-250-pack

I can see a post from 2010 saying the tesco 300 pack was 1.49. So it seems the current UK price is just extraordinarily cheap, possibly sold at a loss.

Asda are 35p too, so could be price matching as I said https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Nappy_Accessories/ASDA_Smartprice_Nappy_Bags_300.html

Advertisement