Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing furniture from within EU

Options
  • 01-08-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm buying a new build apartment shortly and I'm looking to furnish the place (beds, sofa, dining set etc.). Has anyone any e experience or advice on importing these things, we are looking at doing from a cheaper EU country as my OH has ties to there. There is a company that ships the stuff here and will deliver to your home. I'm just not sure the savings are worth the hassle and I'm unsure of the quality of some of the pieces also. Would I be liable for any VAT charges? I presume not as it's an EU member country.

Any advice/ guidance would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Perhaps your OH can get someone local to check the quality of the items out, then crunch the numbers accordingly. Think you may well fall back on your earlier assertion below though.

You'll likely pay VAT at the rate of the country you're purchasing from, unless their sales into Ireland exceed a certain threshold (in which case the Irish rate applies).

No import duties are payable.
    I'm just not sure the savings are worth the hassle

Advertisement