Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khan - TV Series

Options
  • 01-08-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Might be a short series on Khan coming:

BREAKING: Nicholas Meyer Working on Khan Limited TV Series
    http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/
    Writer-director Nicholas Meyer became a Star Trek icon in 1982 when he directed (and for the most part wrote) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the low-budget follow-up to the first Star Trek movie from 1979, which was a box office hit but which cost so much to make that Paramount elected to follow it up with a smaller picture produced by their television division.
    Meyer will reportedly be developing a prequel miniseries, or limited series that would take place on Ceti Alpha V and chronicle Khan and his followers struggling to survive in the years between when Kirk dropped him off on the planet at the end of “Space Seed” and when the crew of the U.S.S. Reliant finds them early in The Wrath of Khan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

So a version of "Lost", but set in space....lost in space....:o

Truthfully, I'm disappointed it's yet AGAIN, another prequel. Fookin' hell :( However, it is Meyer, so there's hope. Plus, the characters are literally stranded on a planet so they can do whatever the hell they want with it, & not have much restraint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This is very different though.

Trek, but not Trek.

Agree with above, Lost in Space, with Lord of the Flies.

Still though..... Meyers..... Could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm.. it really seems to me that whoever is calling the shots on these shows, they are terrified to move away from the originally popular/better-known characters and so we're getting yet ANOTHER prequel.

Besides, what's the must-see story THIS time? Khan and co get dropped off on Ceti Alpha V, 6 months later (as I recall), the neighboring planet explodes and the entire climate changes, turning it into a wasteland, and much of Khan's crew are killed/die as a result - including the crew member that went with him (later his wife?) making him bitter and vengeful towards Kirk.

That was what.. 60 seconds of exposition in WOK.. do we really need a series about it?

Move FORWARD already.

Actually this says it better :
    CBS seems intent on mining Star Trek’s past for storytelling possibilities. Discovery itself takes place ten years before the adventures of Kirk and Spock, and has some rather convenient ties to those characters. The high points of the franchise – like The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine – have always moved the story and its universe forward. The network seems to think familiarity and narrative gap filling are winning strategies, but there’s a lot of Star Trek history to contradict that notion. Though if anyone can pull it off, it’s probably Meyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It's really underwhelming that the writers are going back to the prequel setting again. There might have been some potential if they had tackled the Eugenics wars, they could have dealt with issues like tyranny/democracy, racism etc. But Khan's exile on Ceti Alpha? Doesn't feel like there's much meat to that story. As Kaiser said we got all we needed to know about Khan's story from the 60 seconds of exposition in WoK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ugh. Enough with bloody Khan already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Goodshape wrote: »
    Ugh. Enough with bloody Khan already.

KHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Buried Alive Kirk!

Buried Alivvveee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm ok with this so long as the show is entitled "THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!111"

Is Khan really that interesting a character to get an episode in TOS and two movies? And now an entire series?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is Khan really that interesting a character to get an episode in TOS and two movies? And now an entire series?

What he got two movies really? I only know of one with Khan in it.

I don,t see the harm in doing this. It could be interesting and its Meyers.

A lot of other threads have being saying this is a back up for in case Discovery does not do well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    He's in
    Into Darkness
    too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

AMKC wrote: »

I don,t see the harm in doing this. It could be interesting and its Meyers.

A lot of other threads have being saying this is a back up for in case Discovery does not do well.

Plus I seem to remember he got a storyline in the Enterprise series as well? Something to do with genetic engineering and Data's inventor, Noonian Soong (not sure of the spelling).

Plus I seem to remember he got a storyline in the Enterprise series as well? Something to do with genetic engineering and Data's inventor, Noonian Soong (not sure of the spelling).
    They were Augment embryos left behind on Earth not Khan and the others on the Botany Bay.

Evade wrote: »
    They were Augment embryos left behind on Earth not Khan and the others on the Botany Bay.

Ah, I just googled it, determined to prove you wrong, and I see that Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. Not Noonien Soong. How f**king confusing is that. There was something said during the Enterprise storyline that had made me think they had cleverly linked it, but apparently not.

Ah, I just googled it, determined to prove you wrong, and I see that Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. Not Noonien Soong. How f**king confusing is that. There was something said during the Enterprise storyline that had made me think they had cleverly linked it, but apparently not.
    The similar names are apparently from Roddenberry trying to contact an old friend.
    From Memory Alpha:
    The casting of Ricardo Montalban as Khan prompted the writers to change the character's name to Sabahl Khan Noonien, after Kim Noonien Wang, a friend of Gene Roddenberry during the Second World War. Roddenberry had lost touch with him and hoped that his friend would see his name on television and contact him. (This was also the origin of the name of Noonian Soong.)

The similar names are apparently from Roddenberry trying to contact an old friend.
    From Memory Alpha:

I suppose they could have made it more blatant by just calling the character Kim Noonien Wang, but then Kirk would have been on his knees shouting "Waaang!!" and that just wouldn't have been as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Rawr

Maybe this series could finally explain why Khan had a rusted old movie-era Star Fleet emblem on his neck, when he was abandoned at a time when Star Fleet used the TOS era emblem?

(I know, probably just a wardrobe mistake...but you never know...could be a story there.)

Actually...now thinking about it...maybe if Lt. McGiver's did become Khan's wife, and when she died he had held onto her Star Fleet emblem in memory of her? Kinda makes more sense. Why would he wear the emblem of the fleet he hated, but rather the emblem of someone he loved and missed terribly?

So, wardrobe mistake then...a tragic sentimental wardrobe mistake.

From Memory Alpha:

I always found it amazing that a character in a show was created just to track someone down.

Advertisement