Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active directory and Windows ten

Options
  • 01-08-2017 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I have a program that uses information from AD for logins and permissions etc.
    I dont want to have to deploy a windows server to have this functionality.I'm on windows ten is there any standalone software that might do the job?Or can I run AD on windows ten?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have a program that uses information from AD for logins and permissions etc.
    I dont want to have to deploy a windows server to have this functionality.I'm on windows ten is there any standalone software that might do the job?Or can I run AD on windows ten?

You need a directory server; on Windows, that means Windows Server with the Active Directory Domain Controller role installed and configured. This is a server-only role, so you can't run it on Windows 10.

You could try setting up a Samba VM and configuring it as a domain controller. This is supposed to have been available from Samba 4 but I haven't tried it myself, so can't guarantee it works.

What ver of 10 are you using?

Home, Pro, Enterprise.

Home, you cannot join it to a domain..

Advertisement