Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best point and click games

Options
  • 01-08-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

So I'm new to PC games after just building my new rig - mainly for Oculus but quickly getting keen on games.

I have purchased Battlefield 1 which is impressive but I'm not getting the same level of addictedness as I used to get with old click games. Remember Gansters? https://www.gog.com/game/gangsters_organized_crime or Theme Hospital series.

What's out there which competes? I got Planet Coaster but again it just doesn't have the same addictedness to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Those are not Point and Click games, those are Real Time Strategy Games.

Point and Click as a genre refers usually to games more like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, The Little Acre

Just cause you are using a mouse, all games are point and click games :P

But to answer your question, RTS is a very deep genre.

I played Gangsters 1 a LOT, not really sure what is the best modern day equivalent
    Maxis/Bullfrog were the stalwarts of the genre, they are gone now :(

If you're interested in more "war" like RTS games.
    Starcraft 2
    Command and Conquer 3 (not 4, f**k 4)
    Shogun Total War 2
    Satellite Regins

if you're interested in more "building" like RTS games:
    Anno 2070
    Cities Skylines

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

I couldn't think of a phrase that worked lol! I didn't to say strategy and somebody recommend a strategic RPG etc

Good suggestions, gonna try C&C and Anno 2070

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

XCOMXCOMXCOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If it's an addictive point and click game you're after, you can't go wrong with Civlization.

Any excuse to play this trailer too. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Total War:Warhammer is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

XCOMXCOMXCOM

XCOM 1 + DLC for 6 euro, cant go wrong!
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/xcom-enemy-unknown-the-complete-edition/

might be an extra 15% off with a code on the site but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Going along with what I presume you mean (games like Theme Hospital, Gangsters and Planet Coaster - not sure how Battlefield 1 fits in here but anyway), maybe check out;

- Rimworld (colony builder with colonist management, ai story telling, raids and other environmental dangers to defeat etc)
    - War for the Overworld (spiritual sequel to Dungeon Keeper, speaking of which, that and DK2 are available on GOG I believe).
    - Prison Architect (prison management sim)
    - Cities Skylines or Anno 2205 (city builders)

These are more the real time sim type and not rts wargames.

XCom or XCom2 are turn based, but might be up the Gangsters type alley as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Just fwiw, X-Com and Civ are both Turn-Based-Strategy (now believe you me, I prefer that genre, and firaxis are the best at it) but the 2 games OP mentioned are Real-Time-Strategy. Although Gangsters had a 50-50 split in a lot of ways (similar to Total War games)

But in saying that. Go play X-Com cause it's f**king amazing regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

But in saying that. Go play X-Com cause it's f**king amazing regardless

It's great fun having a ~90% shot on target only to miss... great fun! :pac:

(It is a fantastic game though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

me_irl wrote: »
    It's great fun having a ~90% shot on target only to miss... great fun! :pac:

(It is a fantastic game though.)

That's XCOM baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Xcom, Civ, Total War, Star craft, Anno.

Bye bye social life, friends and family, possibly work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Depending on how far you want to go back...

- Age of Empires 1 & 2.
    - Command and Conquer (Red Alert 2 was my favourite)
    - Anno 2070

Would be where I start. All are real time with no turn based as well.

Civilisation is your go to for turn based :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

The Broken Sword series is terrific - particularly the sequel. It's such a 90's thing, these point and click games. Takes me back.

Broken Sword is an actual point of click game... and agreed; excellent gaming series. Im most fan of the first though, it was absolutely brilliant and I still remember that god damn goat.

xpletiv wrote: »
    Broken Sword is an actual point of click game... and agreed; excellent gaming series. Im most fan of the first though, it was absolutely brilliant and I still remember that god damn goat.

Back in the day I got hold of the sequel first and played the first one much later. There was a section (first one) set in Ireland - unusual for a computer game.

In the sequel I got stuck on the tropical island part about two-thirds in/near the end. That was in the days of dial-up connection. Could not figure it out at all.

Ya I was in the days of dial up; my father and brothers all played no 1, we all had our own save files. My dad got past the goat first and wouldnt tell us how! I was stuck on the goat for over a week :/ BTW... the goat was in Ireland ;)

The second one was great as well. I remember getting horribly lost in the jungle for ages.

Then they fell off the rails with Angel of Death... I dont even think they consider that as cannon in the series :/

I got the kickstarter one couple of years ago; great return to form if you havent played it!

xpletiv wrote: »
    Ya I was in the days of dial up; my father and brothers all played no 1, we all had our own save files. My dad got past the goat first and wouldnt tell us how! I was stuck on the goat for over a week :/ BTW... the goat was in Ireland ;)

The second one was great as well. I remember getting horribly lost in the jungle for ages.

Then they fell off the rails with Angel of Death... I dont even think they consider that as cannon in the series :/

I got the kickstarter one couple of years ago; great return to form if you havent played it!

Played Director's Cut - it was a nice return. Angel of Death, a friend had a copy on ps2. I can barely remember it, that around 2003 and I was caught up instead on Spinter Cell and Rainbox Six 3. All about special forces that year for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up Darkside Detective on Steam today and it's great. An Irish dev made it and it's a supernatural, X-Files crossed with Monkey Island humour kind of game that's worth every penny of the €10 asking price. Definitely worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

A thread on RTS recommendations and no one recommends Homeworld?!?!?!?! Shame on you all.:p

Also not mentioned yet and I'd highly recommend would be Company of Heroes(1&2) and the earlier Dawn of War games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Skerries wrote: »
    Q7SNBHQ.png
    And still he misses LOL
    Great, addictive game, and I'm crap at these games.....

Advertisement