Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to biking

Options
  • 01-08-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I was in a motorbike accident last year. Still not 100% recovered from it and haven't been near a bike since.
    No idea if I'll have the balls to get back on one again but looking at what bike to get out of boredom :p
    I had a deauville ,loved it.
    I'll be able to now to get an A licence .
    I had an a2 before the accident, so I'm gonna do the A IBT .
    I still have a learner permit but have 4 years no claims so should be able to get quoted on most bikes I hope.
    What bikes are like the deauville,in reliability, comfort,weather protection and mobility to filter?
    If I was to get another one it would be mainly for commuting and tipping around.
    Or maybe stick with a deauville :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I know a lot of the lads here will disagree, but I bloody love my Deauville. Picked it up a few weeks ago and it's great to drive, so if you liked it before it may be worth sticking with it.

The downside is it doesn't qualify for doing the A test, so you may have to get a loan bike from the IBT School or something.

I know loads of people on here prefer the SV 650 as an alternative, so it may be worth checking that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

since you have 4 years insurance and an A license the sky is the limit

how long is the commute and is it all motorway etc

you could get a blackbird or something like that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Bought one a while back and it brought me 4000km around Europe. As much as I hoped it wouldn't; it has grown on me big time. Great bike and very under rated considering the slagging it always gets!

Good alternative worth considering - VFR800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I know a lot of the lads here will disagree, but I bloody love my Deauville. Picked it up a few weeks ago and it's great to drive, so if you liked it before it may be worth sticking with it.

The downside is it doesn't qualify for doing the A test, so you may have to get a loan bike from the IBT School or something.

I know loads of people on here prefer the SV 650 as an alternative, so it may be worth checking that out too.
    Ye its a bloody comfortable bike and rarely broke down or had anything wrong with it.
    Ye I see its only able for an a2 test and at that it needs to be restricted!
    Sv650 looks a lovely bike but can't see it being as comfortable as its more of a sports bike.
    since you have 4 years insurance and an A license the sky is the limit

how long is the commute and is it all motorway etc

you could get a blackbird or something like that :cool:
    The commute when I go back to work would be a mix of motorway and some town driving. Be at least 90 minutes of a commute
    Doubt I'd get insured on a blackbird as it will be a learner A licence :p
    Blackbird would be great and a big flipping upgrade from a deauville !!!!!!!
    Bought one a while back and it brought me 4000km around Europe. As much as I hoped it wouldn't; it has grown on me big time. Great bike and very under rated considering the slagging it always gets!

Good alternative worth considering - VFR800

Ye it gets a lot of slagging from people but its a bloody great bike,not the fasted but will beat most cars at the lights!
    Never thought of a vfr800. What's the comfort like on those?

Thought of a pan European but by god that yoke looks awkward as f**k to filter.

could you do progressive access and go straight to a full A though, with 4 years on an A2 you could do it as long as your A2 was full for at least 2 years

to do progressive access you would just need to do module 5 on an A bike...

• Advertisement

could you do progressive access and go straight to a full A though, with 4 years on an A2 you could do it as long as your A2 was full for at least 2 years

to do progressive access you would just need to do module 5 on an A bike...

Ye will be doing that progressive access from learner A2 to A.
    Did the test once and failed so still on a learner :p

ah ok but that's not progressive access in that case, that's just getting an A provisional as well as your A2 provisional

progressive access is exchanging from full A2 to full A without doing another test!

still though 4 years no claims should give you fairly open choice for what to go for.. just a case of getting a few more suggestions and then trying them all out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Come to think of it, if you liked the Deauville and looking for more power, would you consider the Honda ST1300 Pan European or the BMW R1200?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why doesn't it qualify?

ah ok but that's not progressive access in that case, that's just getting an A provisional as well as your A2 provisional

progressive access is exchanging from full A2 to full A without doing another test!

still though 4 years no claims should give you fairly open choice for what to go for.. just a case of getting a few more suggestions and then trying them all out

Ah sorry my bad thought it was progressive access as well.
    When I get the A I'll be applying for the full straight away.

• Advertisement

Come to think of it, if you liked the Deauville and looking for more power, would you consider the Honda ST1300 Pan European or the BMW R1200?
    The pan European looks a bit of a c**t to filter!
    The BMW looks good. Tall and doesn't look so big to filter.
    Was under the impression it would be tough getting Insurance on any litre bike?
    Edit : you talking about the rt or GS BMW?
    Why doesn't it qualify?
    Doesn't have enough horsepower for A test and too much power for a2 without a restriction !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

I've owned my 06 VFR800 since 2008 and love it. It's never missed a beat, has great tank range and is a comfy all day bike ( I'm 6'2") Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I also regularly ride the 700 Deauville for Blood Bikes - it's reliable, it's comfortable and will plod along the motorway all day, but I'd never buy one, they are just gutless bikes and have terrible brakes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If the Deauville is your thing i don't think the VFR800 will tick all the boxes for you. It's a totally different class of bike and while it's a great all rounder there are better bikes for commuting.

Probably should be more helpful and add a suggestion, here are some of the ones that are often forgotten, cbf600, hornet (faired), z750, versys 650.

Looked at CBF,s ,hornet, verseys and few other bikes look awesome. But what would they be like to filter with side boxes fitted? Seem very wide the ones I see fitted. And weather protection?
    Liking the nc 700/750 x
    Average 70mpg and handy storage tank :p

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If it's purely for commuting, hard to beat a dullville.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

honda boi wrote: »
    Looked at CBF,s ,hornet, verseys and few other bikes look awesome. But what would they be like to filter with side boxes fitted? Seem very wide the ones I see fitted. And weather protection?
    Liking the nc 700/750 x
    Average 70mpg and handy storage tank :p

What do you need the panniers for? Weather protection would be good on those bikes. Nc750 is popular for commuting but a bit unconventional, like a three wheeled scooter... I'm not sure what problem they fix or why the current standard wasn't ok.

Advertisement