Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying in Virginia

Options
  • 01-08-2017 1:22pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 12


    Hi all. I'm selling my one bed apartment in Dublin. I want space, country living and possibly the option of sticking a room on Airbnb down the line so looking for an area with a bit of added value in terms of scenery and tourism. I work in Dublin four days a week, sometimes less. I'm single, self employed. I don't have to be in the city until after rush hour (10 or even later) and can leave later in the evening. I've seen some fantastic properties around Virginia. It's a beautiful area and has everything I'm looking for. I'd be driving but would swap the dirty diesel for a hybrid. Am I mad to consider such a long commute? I was originally looking along the M1 into Louth but the prices are going mad and I just wouldn't get the same bang for my buck. Would appreciate any thoughts.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy


    I'm not sure if I'd sign myself up for a long commute to Dublin forever, but if I could have a 3-5 year plan (at the outside) of moving my work closer to home, then I'd certainly consider it.

    Don't underestimate the impact a long commute can have on all aspects of your life.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy


    I know a guy who does it but he's something of a workaholic and works crazy hours anyway, plus he'd be in a role where he could get quite a bit done over the phone during his commute.

    It wouldn't be for me at all but it's certainly do-able.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy


    2 guys I know bought lovely houses in Virginia and thought they would commute to Dublin. It lasted a few months and they both sold. Making a few quid in the process but that was just luck with timing. They said they'd never attempt that again. Lovely houses though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker


    A friend of mine did it for a few years. She found it torturous and after maternity leave quit her job rather then return to commuting. It took her a long time but she eventually found something closer to home.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool


    Everyones different, we were looking in several rural places including virginia, we eventually bought in westmeath. Big house, lots of land, quiet etc, It makes sense for us as we have a young family. Wife can stay at home with kids and I commute to Dublin to work. Our mortgage out here is feck all , after living out here for a few years I wouldnt move back to Dublin


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice


    Would you not consider some where around Gorey, The commute would not be as bad and its got a tourist element as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW


    The distance Virginia - Dublin and Gorey - Dublin is the same. The only difference would be that the public transport from Gorey up to Dublin is better. OP, maybe have a look at the Aughrim area too, it's stunning there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    Thanks for all the useful replies folks. I'm not keen on heading south. All my hobbies, friends etc are in the north county Dublin/north east area. Also I gather if you're going to commute the M3/M1 is the least hideous option. Plus as a paddler if I can't be on the coast I'll take some lakes. Plenty to think about. Would be interested to hear more from those who've done the town to country jump. Is more time on the road worth three days of vegetable growing and mucking about on the water...🀔


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    bmwguy wrote: »
    2 guys I know bought lovely houses in Virginia and thought they would commute to Dublin. It lasted a few months and they both sold. Making a few quid in the process but that was just luck with timing. They said they'd never attempt that again. Lovely houses though.
    Were they 9 to 5 Monday to Friday though? I am lucky enough to have quite a bit of flexibility so I'm thinking it wouldn't be quite such a grind...


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    Also I should mention I'm working in Smithfield so straight run in, no M50, crossing the city etc. Have colleagues coming from Navan doing similar hours who still appear to be sane.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady


    sweetcat wrote: »
    Also I should mention I'm working in Smithfield so straight run in, no M50, crossing the city etc. Have colleagues coming from Navan doing similar hours who still appear to be sane.

    If you bought in Virginia you would have an extra hour per day travelling than your colleagues living in Navan, so I wouldn't be thinking like that. We are living down here nearly 10 years and wouldn't move back if we were paid to!

    You need to factor in wear and tear on your car, tolls, replacing tyres more often etc- that can add up and can sometimes and make it a false economy.
    Virginia is lovely but there are negatives to there- If you have any questions feel free to pm me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65


    Blessington in Wicklow may satisfy your requirement for nice country area, has lovely houses and would be close to Dublin than Virginia for travel purposes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy


    sweetcat wrote: »
    Were they 9 to 5 Monday to Friday though? I am lucky enough to have quite a bit of flexibility so I'm thinking it wouldn't be quite such a grind...

    They would have been yeah. A plumber and an electrician.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy


    Blessington in Wicklow may satisfy your requirement for nice country area, has lovely houses and would be close to Dublin than Virginia for travel purposes.

    Like for like Wicklow is twice as expensive as Cavan I would imagine. Blessington will be Dublin prices.
    Some of the houses in Virginia are absolutely stunning for less than a 3 bed semi in Dublin, that's what the OP is after I suspect.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    m'lady wrote: »
    If you bought in Virginia you would have an extra hour per day travelling than your colleagues living in Navan, so I wouldn't be thinking like that. We are living down here nearly 10 years and wouldn't move back if we were paid to!

    You need to factor in wear and tear on your car, tolls, replacing tyres more often etc- that can add up and can sometimes and make it a false economy.
    Virginia is lovely but there are negatives to there- If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

    It's about half an hour to Navan, and I'd be bypassing the town so maybe 25 mins longer than their journey. I did Virginia to Blanch in 45 at the weekend but granted there was noting on the road. I think the problems start Blanch to city centre in terms of delays but as mentioned I start later. There are lots of negatives though, agreed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker


    sweetcat wrote: »
    It's about half an hour to Navan, and I'd be bypassing the town so maybe 25 mins longer than their journey. I did Virginia to Blanch in 45 at the weekend but granted there was noting on the road. I think the problems start Blanch to city centre in terms of delays but as mentioned I start later. There are lots of negatives though, agreed.

    30 mins on the way in + 30 mins on the way out = 1 hour a day extra on an already fairly long commute from Navan in.
    It's really not to be sneezed at.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14


    I would strongly suggest renting for a year in Virginia before buying.... it's a massive shift in living/commuting arrangements


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    bmwguy wrote: »
    Like for like Wicklow is twice as expensive as Cavan I would imagine. Blessington will be Dublin prices.
    Some of the houses in Virginia are absolutely stunning for less than a 3 bed semi in Dublin, that's what the OP is after I suspect.

    Yup Blessington too pricey. Very little stock and tend to be weirdly small,


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    I would strongly suggest renting for a year in Virginia before buying.... it's a massive shift in living/commuting arrangements

    Ideally yes but it's not an option for a variety of reasons, hence my research. Wherever I end up will be a bit of a leap of faith unfortunately.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice


    What is your price range? have you looked at Termonfeckin, Ardee places like that .


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high


    mariaalice wrote: »
    Would you not consider some where around Gorey, The commute would not be as bad and its got a tourist element as well.

    Gorey's probably a worse commute, all things considered.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    mariaalice wrote: »
    What is your price range? have you looked at Termonfeckin, Ardee places like that .

    Termonfeckin pricey. im keeping an eye on Louth in genera. Ardee is on my list too all right although is not as nice as Virginia and commute time similar.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy


    While the commute is manageable with the improvements in the road it is certainly not to be sneezed at.
    I did a project a few years back that required me to drive against Traffic Blanchardstown to Cavan town 3 day a week for about 18 months.
    I was getting mileage and tolls paid , but still by the end of it I wanted to kill myself.
    Even avoiding rush hours -Virginia to Smithfield would be a tougher commute than mine.

    I think the advice of renting for a year to see how you fair is great advice.

    Re location ,Virginia is a lovely town and your money certainly goes much further out there than inside the commuter belt.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice


    sweetcat wrote: »
    Termonfeckin pricey. im keeping an eye on Louth in genera. Ardee is on my list too all right although is not as nice as Virginia and commute time similar.

    So basically you want a massive house and garden for the price of a one bed apartment in the city and within commuting distance of Dublin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat


    mariaalice wrote: »
    So basically you want a massive house and garden for the price of a one bed apartment in the city and within commuting distance of Dublin.

    No I don't want a massive house. One of the things that puts me off Termonfeckin and much of the stuff round Virginia is the houses are way too big. I need a two to three bed as my mother isn't getting any younger and may need to stay with me at times. I want a garden for purely selfish reasons. If I'm somewhere with a bit of scenery and tourism great, I might be able to do a bit of Airbnb on the side. Just weighing up pros and cons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy


    Hi - I live in that area - Between virginia and oldcastle - If you have any questions feel free to ask - I only commute as far as Trim though so don't have a huge drive (40mins)


Advertisement