Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order cancellation with Techdirect

Options
  • 01-08-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi.

I ordered an item from this company, which advertises itself as 100% Irish owned and located in Ireland. I'm regretting ordering with them now!

I changed my mind and mailed them at about 7am the following morning (a Monday). I requested cancellation of the order.

I rang them later in the the day to ensure the order was cancelled and they told me to mail them a cancellation request via their site, which I did.

They subsequently mailed me to say the item was in transit.

I rang them one more time about this, asking about their returns procedure. They threatened a restocking fee and a large shipping fee (the tone was not at all customer friendly or accommodating). I knew I did not have to pay a restocking fee under European law and mentioned this but I was confused about the shipping fee. .

If they advertise as being 100% Irish owned and located in Ireland, why am I paying a shipping fee back to the UK? Surely dropping the item to their Irish outlet is enough?

Does anyone know what my consumer rights should be in this situation? Should I be shipping the item back to the UK? All the people I've dealt with so far have had Irish accents... and with the way they advertise (100% Irish owned and located) I assumed they were some Irish outfit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi OP - I've split out your post from the older thread into a new thread of its own.

dudara

Refuse it at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Refuse it at the door.

They can still charge him the cost of the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kiptinui

So I successfully cancelled the order and they refunded me via Paypal, less the cost of the courier, shipping etc. The cost of shipping was pretty high but I'm happy to eat that charge just to get rid of the item (and them!).

It seems that if you order from an Irish company, located in Ireland and change your mind and they ship to you from e.g. the UK you may have to pay full shipping costs to return the goods back to the UK. Worth being aware of!

As far as Tech Direct goes:

1. I contacted them three times after placing the order to cancel it. They did not cancel it and actually shipped the item. Basically the cancellation period seems to be super short, or they just ignore your emails.

2. I'm not sure they ever received an email from me even though I sent them maybe six. The only way I prompted them to action was by calling the phone number on their site. I received an automated acknowledgement of emails but no actual response to any of them.

3. They were completely unfriendly during the course of all this. One sales guy pretty much lost it at me over the phone (yelling, accusations, etc.) and hung up on me. I also got a weird email from a support staff member saying I had accused her of things.

I was fairly levelheaded during all of this communication and it all made for a very strange experience. They made a point of stating that they were barring me from ordering from them in the future (?!). I'm pretty OK with that as I'll never go near that site again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Company could be Irish, Office could be based in Ireland but distribution in the UK. Ive seen companies claim the whole Irish thing and all they are is an interface for an Asian manufacturer

• Advertisement
Advertisement