Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky losing ATP Tennis to Amazon

Options
  • 01-08-2017 12:45pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I see today that Amazon Prime have won exclusive rights to ATP Tour tennis from 2018, excluding the 4 grand slams.

I wonder what that means for Irish viewers, whether it'll be on the Irish Amazon Prime Video or not.

Not a tennis fan, but interesting to see Sky Sports lose more sporting rights. I guess it's just as well there isn't a Sky Sports Tennis.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/01/amazon-outbids-sky-to-win-exclusive-atp-tour-tennis-rights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Sky losing more and more sports rights by the day it seems. Becoming less value for subscribers at an alarming rate given the costs involved. Interesting few months ahead

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It means that these tournaments likely won't be seen on TV in Ireland, unless eir Sport pick up the rights. As far as Amazon's video service is concerned Ireland is "international waters", and they aren't interested in serving us with a specific service (or buying U.K. & Ireland rights as other sports broadcasters do). So a similar situation as to if ITV or C5 had bought the rights.

But these are not important rights (and if they were they wouldn't have went to Amazon) and Amazon won't be building a pay TV sports business on this alone. The causal viewer doesn't realise there are tennis tournaments outside of Wimbledon and Rolland Garros. And there are very few non-casual fans of televised tennis in Ireland (and the ladies tour is on BT Sport). I'd more see this in the terms that the new look Sky Sports is prioritising it's declared key sports of football, golf, cricket and motorsport, and is willing to let other rights go if the price is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Would be perfect for Be3 if Tv3 Group could get it cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

By my understanding these ATP rights will be available on Amazon Prime Video's website where you pay the €3 a month for watching The Grand Tour etc...

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/amazon-takes-tennis-rights-from.html

UPDATE: Maybe Eir Sport will get them in Ireland. Sorry. I didn't realize they were UK rights. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Delta2113 wrote: »

I'd wonder how much TV3 have to play around with considering it has taken Six Nations, English WC Qualifiers, Horse Racing and Champions League. Tennis seems to have been forgotten by Irish Broadcasters except for TG4 and eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

byte wrote: »
    I see today that Amazon Prime have won exclusive rights to ATP Tour tennis from 2018, excluding the 4 grand slams.

I wonder what that means for Irish viewers, whether it'll be on the Irish Amazon Prime Video or not.

Not a tennis fan, but interesting to see Sky Sports lose more sporting rights. I guess it's just as well there isn't a Sky Sports Tennis.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/01/amazon-outbids-sky-to-win-exclusive-atp-tour-tennis-rights

I'm sure that your Eurosport will keep their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Sky and all should be worried by this, streaming is becoming the norm now and companies like Netflix & Amazon are only going to get stronger.

Next 3 year premier league deal should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Elmo wrote: »
    Delta2113 wrote: »

I'd wonder how much TV3 have to play around with considering it has taken Six Nations, English WC Qualifiers, Horse Racing and Champions League. Tennis seems to have been forgotten by Irish Broadcasters except for TG4 and eir.

Can you expand on English WC Qualifiers? When will they show these? ITV have UK rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just try to follow the ball on TV3 saorview :pac:

Can you expand on English WC Qualifiers? When will they show these? ITV have UK rights.

http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?article_id=234896&locID=1.2.888

Live as they happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sky losing more and more sports rights by the day it seems. Becoming less value for subscribers at an alarming rate given the costs involved. Interesting few months ahead

Not always a good thing really for the customer. Instead of one premium package (eg: Sky in the 90s for football), you now have several to pay for if you want the same level of coverage.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not always a good thing really for the customer. Instead of one premium package (eg: Sky in the 90s for football), you now have several to pay for if you want the same level of coverage.

True, but Sky entry price has been sky rocketing over the last number of years. It's now getting to situation you choose what you want to pay for, so if you don't want ATP you don't take amazon.

Sky themselves are opting for both markets, Sky Sports Package in full, Sky Sports as you want and their NOW TV sports pack.

Advertisement