Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going on holidays in August?

Options
  • 01-08-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

While ye're all off laughing and chatting and staggering back to your seat with two pints of Guinness in your hands on the Costa Santa del Paloozamajig and getting sunburnt it's fellas like me who keep the show on the road.

If it wasn't like lads like meself keeping a watchful eye all the windows in your house would be smashed, you'd have no running water or electricity and the fox will have ate all your hens by the time you got back.

I know some people are pretty much forced to go on holidays in August because that's when their work place closes or they have kids who have to go back to school and long may it continue because that's the one month I pretty much have the whole country to myself I get the chance to let the only 11-year-old in the country who doesn't go on holidays drive me around swerving along the deserted post-apocalyptic roads in the tray of a single cab Hilux while I shoot foxes with a shotgun and shout "Yeeeeeeeeehaw!" with each one I hit.

Are you going on holidays in August? 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No feck August tis overrated
    100% 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Anyone who buys a pint of Guinness abroad is either a) not Irish or b) homesick to the point of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Did your mates go off without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I will battle you for the right to be king of this post apocalyptic wasteland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm going away at the end of August because I f*cking refuse to sit in the office on my 40th birthday. I hate office birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If it wasn't like lads like meself keeping a watchful eye all the windows in your house would be smashed, you'd have no running water or electricity and the fox will have ate all your hens by the time you got back.

Keep your eyes off my house you creep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm going at the start of September. Does that count?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Couple days away yeah, main holiday will be early October though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, working for the whole month.

Off for 3 weeks, spending two weeks up at home and one abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

me_irl wrote: »
    Anyone who buys a pint of Guinness abroad is either a) not Irish or b) homesick to the point of desperation.

Guaranteed to give you the scutters quicker than the local tap water. Had the misfortune of taking a sip from a mate who was trying it out in Ibiza, absolute muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You've no maybe option FFS

Considering going to Memmingen late August on the bike via Overlanders.

Only problem is that I've got no one to go with..... weak...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

grahambo wrote: »
    You've no maybe option FFS

Considering going to Memmingen late August on the bike via Overlanders.

Only problem is that I've got no one to go with..... weak...
    Go on your own sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't forget, I know where you all live :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm on holidays but not going on holidays. Not sure which option to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My wife is heading off in a few days to my sisters villa, she's only bring one of the kids so me, the 2 others and the dogs are gonna sit in our own filth for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JollyBustard

Going away most of the weekends in August, which is nice.

But back for work each Monday.

The joys...

hairyslug wrote: »
    My wife is heading off in a few days to my sisters villa, she's only bring one of the kids so me, the 2 others and the dogs are gonna sit in our own filth for a week.

Forgot, I'm off to Wales for 4 days after she comes back.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Go on your own sure

I could, but I'd be horrendously lonely.

I could, but I'd be horrendously lonely.

You'll be on the bike though, you can go at your own pace, stop when you want, I did wales and west England a while back by myself and really preferred it to the group trips.

hairyslug wrote: »
    You'll be on the bike though, you can go at your own pace, stop when you want, I did wales and west England a while back by myself and really preferred it to the group trips.

But what about those lonely nights?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

But what about those lonely nights?

Stock up on hand cream before you go :pac:

number 2 back and sides, half an inch off the top.

None of yer smalltalk, Magda.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm going away at the end of August because I f*cking refuse to sit in the office on my 40th birthday. I hate office birthdays.

I never tell anyone in my office when my birthday is and I always dread other peoples birthdays and Christmas as everyone seems to think its a big deal and lets all have cake and small talk about nothing.

I usually dont go on hols in August cus everyone else does so its quiet in work, plus its too fookin hot, I like my hols in colder climates, hate the beach.

ima lovely guy btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Going away for a week at the end of August. Looking forward to it for the last few months. Going to sh*t myself with excitement soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Week visiting the family in Austria, would prefer not to go. I don't like most people over there but my sister's expecting her baby in September and I really want to see her before.
    Also a bad timing because we'll get the keys to our house in around 2 weeks and I want to be in before my son starts school, so he doesn't have to go in Dublin for 1 or 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Syphonax wrote: »
    I never tell anyone in my office when my birthday is and I always dread other peoples birthdays and Christmas as everyone seems to think its a big deal and lets all have cake and small talk about nothing.

I usually dont go on hols in August cus everyone else does so its quiet in work, plus its too fookin hot, I like my hols in colder climates, hate the beach.

ima lovely guy btw :)

Yeah I agree with you, I joined a new unit recently and was asked how old I was, "39" I replied, and was then asked when the zero came up, I answered truthfully ("Late August" - not exact date) not knowing the traditions of the unit...
    I don't even like fecking cake! And those tea parties at a dusty unoccupied desk are so fecking twee.
    I'm a pints girl.

Anyhow, I don't normally go on hols in August, this is an exception, and it's only 3 days. I normally go away in September (which I'm also doing this year!)/ November/ February/ May.

Birthdays are sh!t. But I want to go to a nice place for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm going to Amsterdam in September. Primarily to look at fannies.

3 mini breaks for me, June, Sep & Nov.

Did loads of work travel this year, couldn't stomach a two week holiday really, be as happy at home, sadly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I wish, haven't been out of Ireland in 3 years. I've even let my passport expire and still haven't renewed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

US for two weeks, take in the solar eclipse and some of the national parks.

Advertisement