Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacation during notice period

Options
  • 31-07-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Got job offer on Friday, handed in my notice this morning and they asked me to serve a month's notice. I have booked next week off. Can this be included in my notice period which would take me up the 25th or do I need to factor in the week I am off, thereby taking me up to the 1st September.

Need to give new employer a date ASAP
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Got job offer on Friday, handed in my notice this morning and they asked me to serve a month's notice. I have booked next week off. Can this be included in my notice period which would take me up the 25th or do I need to factor in the week I am off, thereby taking me up to the 1st September.

Need to give new employer a date ASAP

Assuming you have holidays saved up from the amount of work you done.

For example you get 1 3/4 holiday days for every month of work, if you have a week their well then yes you can take them, if you don't your employer might not let you or might seek money back for holiday days that are not owed.

I have 5 holiday days left to play around with this year,
    but if I was to hand in my notice and had to give a months notice right now, I would not get any of them holiday days. Seen as their is still 5 months left in the year, I would ow them money for holiday days I have taken already because I would have gone past the amount I am owd seen as I would be resigning before the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Most contracts stipulate that you cannot take leave during a notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Assuming you have holidays saved up from the amount of work you done.

For example you get 1 3/4 holiday days for every month of work, if you have a week their well then yes you can take them, if you don't your employer might not let you or might seek money back for holiday days that are not owed.

I don't think this is true. Standard practice is to not allow you to take leave during notice period and to pay you for the holidays you have accrued but not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

I have the holidays built up with some still in the bank, but can I include the week I am off in my 4 weeks notice period. i.e. I am effectively working 3 weeks with a week off or do I need to work 4 weeks plus my 1 week off?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

PCX wrote: »
    Most contracts stipulate that you cannot take leave during a notice period.

Boss said it was fine to take the holidays I had booked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

What date did you give in your resignation letter? I check the dates, discuss with the employee after we tally up holidays and other outstanding items, and if the date is different from the letter I ask him/her to change the date on the letter (sometimes earlier, sometimes later.) Before anyone tells me what a horrible boss I am the later was due to the employee not realising as he was paid mid-month, he would be short half a months salary as the company "advances" half a month's salary. He realised he couldn't last that long until the pay day of his new job which was at the end of the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

PCX wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. Standard practice is to not allow you to take leave during notice period and to pay you for the holidays you have accrued but not taken.

"It is illegal under the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 for an employer to pay an allowance in lieu of the minimum statutory holiday entitlement of an employee unless the employment relationship is terminated. In general, your annual leave is calculated on the basis of hours worked.

If you are leaving a job you are entitled to receive payment for any outstanding annual leave and public holidays due to you.
    "

Standard practice doesn't mean a thing, if you have holidays booked before you hand in your notice, that means you are already in an agreement with your employer that you have them days booked, he cannot just take them away from you.
    You stand to lose alot of cash if holidays are booked for abroad etc.. unless of course he offers to compensate you for your loss.

But then theirs that whole burning bridges thing...but they can't take them away from you if its already in an agreement. Its the reason we all always ask ahead of time when booking holidays and don't leave it at short notice.

But if you planned on just taking holiday days knowing you were going to hand in your notice shortly afterwards, thats a real scummy thing to do unless of course you hate your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Every time I moved jobs I simply included any holiday owed in my notice period and it has never been questioned.

Advertisement