Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC HL Irish A Thig Ná Tit Orm Help

Options
  • 31-07-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

It's one month until I start 6th year and our Irish teacher didn't teach us or go over the Prós Breise, A Thig Ná Tit Orm. He told us to learn and read it ourselves over the summer and the day we come back, he's going to give us an exam question on it.
    My Irish is terrible. I can't understand a single sentence from the novel let alone the storyline and the themes. Can someone please point me in the right direction for what to study, and maybe provide some resources?
    Is there an English translation online? Are there summaries I could use as a resource? What do I study for an exam question? Themes, characters, messages??
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

You can buy an English version of the book called "House Don't Fall On Me". You only have the read the first 8 chapters for the Leaving Cert.

https://gaeilgedonmheanscoil.wordpress.com/filiocht-ardleibheal/a-thig-na-tit-orm/achoimre/ ...I found this website very handy for summaries of the chapters, however it is in Irish. There are a couple of sample essays available for free on studyclix too.

When studying this book it's important to know stories on greann (humour), spraoi (fun/playing), sport, music, poverty at the time (only 2 radios in the parish, didn't have a proper football in primary) an t-am a chaith sr scoil (time spent in school i.e. did he like it? differences between his primary and tech), bntaht (going from house to house telling stories/singing songs/playing cards etc), poaching (forget the Irish word for it lol) and samhradh 1958 (Eibhl ag seinm on bosca ceoil don samhradh)... I could be forgetting a couple so someone could let you know if there's more you should have covered.

Exam questions are available on examinations.ie - it's question 4B on Irish Paper 2. For the exam questions, you're basically rewritting a summary of the story from the novel you're talking about whilst telling the examiner how it links to the question (i.e. if the question was on humour you could talk about the story of the Maidhc's neighbour and how she fled the house thinking there was a ghost in the radio and how it made you laugh, how Maidhc thought it was hilarious etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FlashAllen

Thank you so much! I've been struggling so much, nice to have some help.

Advertisement