Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me plan the next 6 weeks before I start final year in college

Options
  • 31-07-2017 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm starting 4th year in CS (Software Development Specialization) when I'm back in college in September. I don't have full time work during the summer so I'm going to do some prep work. The issue is I want to learn so much, and I cant choose where to start.

PHP

Probably will end up using this for my 4th year project, laravel maybe. I'm decent at PHP, but I can't write a lot without googling for help.

JavaScript

I have never been decent at js, so maybe start here.

MEAN

I enrolled in a Developer Bootcamp on Udemy by Colt Steele, he teaches this stack.

Java
    2 Modules are based in Java next year
    1. Intro to AI
    2. API Development
    3. Oh, also some android as well.

I'm not bad with java, could do with revision, and skilling up more.

Python, R
    A module next year is based on data analysis. Python and R are used for these. I have never used the languages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Instead of picking a language to focus on maybe try to find a project to work on. Whenever I'm trying to learn something I find it easier to focus if I have a goal or a finish line if you will :)

If you can think of an idea for an app for example you could try to build it and learn some more java, or if you could think of a website that does something a little bit more challenging than a static website you could try to learn something from that too

Upside to doing a project would also be that if you get it into a good state you could pop it on your cv and it would look good when you are looking for employment after your course

Either way fair play to you for putting in the extra effort, good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

The single best thing you can do for your employability after graduation during your summer between terms (if you're not working and not doing a Google Summer of Code) is to close bugs in a major, well known, open source project. Record the URLs to the bugs fixed and to the commit which fixed them, and list about five to ten of them at the top of your CV. Puts you way out ahead of the thousands of other fresh graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Given the intro to AI and data analysis with R/Python refreshing your linear algebra should help you a lot. Some statistics and probability would help also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Learn how to use Git, whatever path you choose. Maybe do up a small python project that reads off a REST API that spits out JSON. Something like the Twitter API. And then put it up on github or bitbucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Get started on your 4th year project now. Trust me. The final year of that course is intense with workload, I wish I had started my project earlier. If you want more info PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement