Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out in Adult Ed.

Options
  • 31-07-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

I completed Train the Trainer 2 years ago and have been teaching four QQI Level 5 courses since then. I was lucky to pick up work with one company and have never worked for another.

I absolutely love my work but I am not getting enough of it at the moment and am considering returning to retail in a training role for the salary!

Should I blitz training companies and try for more business or return to college and try get a place in the ETBs?

Has anyone survived as a freelance trainer for a period of time?

Will my lack of degree hold me back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It'll certainly hold you back from the ETB's, as you won't qualify for a teaching council registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmb2jb.jpg

There are some courses available locally but I can't work out if I'd need to complete all of these or just the level 8. I'll contact the college for clarification.

https://www.wit.ie/schools/education/parttime-courses

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're serious about making teaching your profession, I would give serious consideration to checking out if any of those courses are recognised by the TC as teaching qualifications. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time, effort and cash, and will essentially be in the same place you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thank you for the advice, it's what I needed to hear!
    One of the courses is recognised by the teaching council so I will aim for that one.

Advertisement