Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree vs QQI Level 5

Options
  • 31-07-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm currently recieving Jobseekers Allowance, and constantly looking for work every day. I have a Degree in Social Care from WIT, graduated in 2012 with Honours. Was looking into doing a course in September in Healthcare QQI Level 5, as that's what most nursing homes/care facilities want these days. The Degree won't do!
    Went about asking the Social Welfare in my home town about Back to Education Allowance, and they told me that under no certain terms would I recieve it, as I have done a Higher Level. They see going up Level courses as bettering oneself, but I want to do the course so I can get work in Healthcare but its a big NO.
    If I paid for it myself, the Social Welfare would cut me off..from home, same thing, as I have to be full-time looking for work as per their rules, and the home study course involves some work experience.
    Cousin got told the exact same thing - She graduated from college over 20 years ago, and still can't do a Level 5 course.
    This Government is an absolute joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm currently recieving Jobseekers Allowance, and constantly looking for work every day. I have a Degree in Social Care from WIT, graduated in 2012 with Honours. Was looking into doing a course in September in Healthcare QQI Level 5, as that's what most nursing homes/care facilities want these days. The Degree won't do!
    Went about asking the Social Welfare in my home town about Back to Education Allowance, and they told me that under no certain terms would I recieve it, as I have done a Higher Level. They see going up Level courses as bettering oneself, but I want to do the course so I can get work in Healthcare but its a big NO.
    If I paid for it myself, the Social Welfare would cut me off..from home, same thing, as I have to be full-time looking for work as per their rules, and the home study course involves some work experience.
    Cousin got told the exact same thing - She graduated from college over 20 years ago, and still can't do a Level 5 course.
    This Government is an absolute joke.

Have you looked into the VTOS scheme? There's info on it here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/returning_to_education/vocational_training_opportunities_scheme.html
    I know it's aimed at people who are early-school leavers (which you are not) but it doesn't say that's it's limited to those people. It might be worth investigating to see if you were suitable. Another bit of advice would be to contact your looking VEC and ask them for info on what your options are regarding funding for a Level 5 course in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anniewebster84

I did the VTOS thing a few years ago, and cause I did it...I wouldn't be eligible for it to cover the course I want to do.
    I've tried the VEC, and they've told me exactly what the social welfare have..I won't get funding to do it as I already have a higher level done. It's a pain really tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Why don't you do the level five course and work part time in a shop/fast food etc to pay towards it? Is there a loan you can get to cover fees and gradually pay off through the year? You seem very reliant on hand-outs from the government, maybe you need to start helping yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Maybe you could get one of the home care companies to support or sponsor you to do the level 5. I am fairly sure I have seen adverts to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

bisset wrote: »
    Maybe you could get one of the home care companies to support or sponsor you to do the level 5. I am fairly sure I have seen adverts to that effect.

Yes, I think I've seen that advertised too. Maybe blue bird care or Home Instead (can't remember which).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 anniewebster84

Xfactorfan23: I'm actually not totally reliant on Social Welfare..there are better things to be doing than being on the dole, and because you don't know me - you don't have a clue of my background. Since January, I've applied for well over 200 jobs in my home town, yet it's one hell of an unemployment blackspot. I wish to hell I could just walk into a job, like you think so many can do, but in fairness, that's not reality, is it??

Bisset - I've not actually seen that advertised, must be missing something, but thank you - shall look into it :-)

Advertisement