Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash query

Options
  • 31-07-2017 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

Hi all,

I hope someone here can help me through their own experience or that of someone they know.

A woman ran into me and my Honda Deauville in Lucan on Thursday morning, we swapped details etc, all hunky dory, got an estimate today for €1900 for the damage to the bike and she's going to put it through her insurance.

What I would like to know is how long this process will take, as I've heard some horror stories over the years of claims taking months to go through. Also, what's the likelihood of the bike being written off? I ask this as it cost €2600 when new and with depreciation would be less than the estimate for repair.

I'm very fond of my Deauville bike and would hate to lose it, how hard are the assessors for the insurance companies when it comes to these cases? Sorry for all the questions but figured this would be the best place to find the info that I need.

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭COH

Were you hurt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 randomjoe

No physical damage to me (fortunately), just the bike. I'm hoping to get it sorted out quickly so I can enjoy the rest of the summer on my wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It could be possibly written off based on the value. Her insurance company will likely send out an assessor to look over the damage and only then will they decide. Was there much damage done to you and the bike?

Ive had one crash - completely the fault of the other person, the agreement was made to pay out straight away on the bike to be replaced and the injuries was done separately. This took about 8 months to sort between visits to doctors etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 randomjoe

It was her fault, she admitted she didn't see me coming, she got impatient and jumped from the entrance of the estate to the main road without seeing me despite the headlights being on and me wearing a hi-vis vest. I got a quote from Bikeworld so it's all there in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭COH

randomjoe wrote: »
    No physical damage to me (fortunately), just the bike. I'm hoping to get it sorted out quickly so I can enjoy the rest of the summer on my wheels.

Great to hear man - count yourself lucky :)

I had a similar situation earlier this year - took about 8-10 weeks for the cagers insurance to pay out for the damage to the bike. Assessor was out about 4-6 weeks after the crash if I remember correctly.

The lads in the bike shop that it was brought to had her roadworthy within a couple of days of the crash so wasn't off the road long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Had very similar case myself. The driver at fault paid the shop straight away for repairs, but it took the shop 4-5 weeks to get all the parts and fix it.

Be prepared for good few weeks without it.

Glad to hear you were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The op is a troll. They claim to own a deauville and an rt1200? Possibly but not likely in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Surely, if liability is no issue, you should be entitled to claim for a replacement motorcycle while your claim is being processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Your mechanic should have considered this in their quote, I know mine would and they have advised me on how best to follow up. After an accident one of my bikes had some cosmetic fairing damage (along with all the rest) and they recommended I didn't claim for it as it would have put the bike at risk of being written off, I was also claiming on someone else's policy.

One important thing, don't accept a payment or their quoted amount until the work is done as it could cost more, you have only been given an estimate and once they send you that cheque that's what you've settled for and if your mechanic discovers more damage or it takes longer that expected and it costs more then it's out of your pocket.

Advertisement