Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Glider Battery

Options
  • 31-07-2017 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭

I've praised Golf Glider in the past, but have to say I'm dissapointed.

I got my original glider battery, one of the small slim ones and it lasted 6 years+ and eventually it would charge in full, but just not go very far so it was time for a new one. Just over 2 years ago I got an actual Golf Glider Branded Battery, but a big one this time, thinking I should get at least 5 years out of it.

In the last 2 weeks, I've noticed it is no longer charging fully, just going up to the middle light and the battery is burning up.

I rang Glider as I presume it must be a problem with either charger or battery. They tell me that the battery is dead and I will require a new one. I find this hard to believe that the lifespan of a larger battery, which is their own brand, is little more than 2 years as opposed to 6. Look, if I got 4 years out of it I would have been happy enough, but I feel the battery must be flawed somehow and I think they have a duty to repair or replace it as surely it should last longer than this

Opinions please and let me know how long your golf glider batteries are lasting. Not interested in spurious ones, or other brands of cart etc, I just want to know about glider for the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have my battery at least 6 or 7 years and it was second hand when i got my golf glider. Still does 18 holes but i rarely use it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Went to halfpenny where I bought it, 2 years 5 months ago. Told me I was lucky to get that long out of it and no warranty and they will test it for 20 bucks.

I'll drop up to Glider in Churchtown with it and see what they say, but it looks like I'll have to just get a new battery. Will have to consider lithium I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

, just going up to the middle light and the battery is burning up.

To me,this would indicate a fault with the battery, probably a cell shorted.
    But its still possible the charger is faulty; it may have destroyed the battery. Get it tested also.

Was it dropped, or left totally discharged, etc..There are so many variables in battery usage, the manufacturers cannot give extended warranties.

Why Lithium? -@ €300, that's a lot of years of Lead acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

1 yr warranty in all lead acid batteries. Usually last about 18 months. U did very very well to get 6 yrs from first battery.
    Bigger battery won't last any longer.
    Buy a lithium battery that comes with 5 yr warranty for about 250. Never any problems with lithium have mine 6 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

golfguy1 wrote: »
    1 yr warranty in all lead acid batteries. Usually last about 18 months. U did very very well to get 6 yrs from first battery.
    Bigger battery won't last any longer.
    Buy a lithium battery that comes with 5 yr warranty for about 250. Never any problems with lithium have mine 6 yrs

I have had gliders for 20+ years and always found the guys in churchtown very helpful. They replaced almost every part over the years. The quality of lead batteries has dropped from where you would get several years from one many years ago to where in recent years, dependent on use, you would be lucky to get 18+ months from one.

I bought a lithium battery and am delighted with it... so much lighter, faster charge, longer life (hopefully), etc... BUT word of warning I found using the new lithium battery on long courses in my old glider the battery would give out towards the end of the round. I had to have the motor replaced with a newer type/model and that solved the problem. Check with the guys in Churchtown if the motor in your glider will work properly with the lithium battery. I have since bought a Micro lite glider (using my own battery) and am very pleased with it. It is much lighter to handle and takes less space in the car boot. I held on to the old glider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I upgraded to a Golf Glider Lithium a few years ago and find it great and completely reliable. Having to get a new charger to go with it added to the cost but well worth it.

bmay529 wrote: »
    I have had gliders for 20+ years and always found the guys in churchtown very helpful. They replaced almost every part over the years.

Sorry, I just read this much and had to do this :D

whizbang wrote: »
    To me,this would indicate a fault with the battery, probably a cell shorted.
    But its still possible the charger is faulty; it may have destroyed the battery. Get it tested also.

Was it dropped, or left totally discharged, etc..There are so many variables in battery usage, the manufacturers cannot give extended warranties.

Why Lithium? -@ €300, that's a lot of years of Lead acid.

some other guys said that to me about a cell shorted. is this repairable?

not dropped and i might leave it in the car for a day or 2 at the most after a game, but generally it it permanently plugged in

why not lithium? I think my current batter cost about €130. I thought I'd get 4-5 years out of her. If I'm only going to get 2, well surely it actually makes more sense to get a lithium which will be lighter, charges quicker, not required to be permanently plugged in and I've been told has a much longer guarantee and likley to get 5+ years out of it, so at €300, it will actually work out cheaper in the long run

bmay529 wrote: »
    I bought a lithium battery and am delighted with it... so much lighter, faster charge, longer life (hopefully), etc... BUT word of warning I found using the new lithium battery on long courses in my old glider the battery would give out towards the end of the round. I had to have the motor replaced with a newer type/model and that solved the problem. Check with the guys in Churchtown if the motor in your glider will work properly with the lithium battery. I have since bought a Micro lite glider (using my own battery) and am very pleased with it. It is much lighter to handle and takes less space in the car boot. I held on to the old glider.

Yea, was thinking if I go for the lithium I spotted there is 18 holes and 36 hole options. I would go for the 36 option, it's not much more from what I see.

I actually have a Glider Microlight.

Now do Golf Glider actually do a Lithium Battery or is it just spurious ones? I'd rathre get an actual Glider one if possible, I prefer to stick with the brands. Also, how do they fit? I've seen some lads and their batteries don't even fit correctly in their trolleys, that would just drive me nuts.

So it seems I won a timely prize last weekend and it is going to be in around 300 in value........ Nice one, battery sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea, was thinking if I go for the lithium I spotted there is 18 holes and 36 hole options. I would go for the 36 option, it's not much more from what I see.

I actually have a Glider Microlight.

Now do Golf Glider actually do a Lithium Battery or is it just spurious ones? I'd rathre get an actual Glider one if possible, I prefer to stick with the brands. Also, how do they fit? I've seen some lads and their batteries don't even fit correctly in their trolleys, that would just drive me nuts.

Keswick, the glider people, supply a lithium battery. I'm not sure if they do a 36 hole one. It and any other lithium battery as far as I know will not fit flat in the micrilite trolley with the cover on. You would have to stand then on their side. Pain I know but I have become used to it and it doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I gave up on the usual large battery as I wasn't getting much more than the guaranteed 12 months (play a lot) Got a litium 2 years ago and very good although I've had a lot of problems with the charger (difficult to get the red charging light to stay on)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Aren't 5 years guarantee normal for that type of battery? Good car batteries are anyway.

Similar story with my old Powakaddy. Original battery lasted years and years. Could be off by a year but it must have been 7 or 8. Then it gave in. Got a Powakaddy replacement, went flat after a little over a year. Same with the second replacement also original Powakaddy. Then I went third party. I wouldn't call it spurious by the way. At least you know what you're buying. Some trolley manufacturer may or may not use high quality parts and put their label on it. Anyway, went third part brand name. Gel battery same spec as 36 hole battery from Powakaddy and again got only 2 years out of it. In the end I bought a new Motocaddy trolley with a lithium battery. Has 5 years guarantee, its printed on the battery even. So far so good best trolley I ever had but its not even year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone ever had their charger go dead? The battery is fine but charger has just given up this eve

callaway92 wrote: »
    Anyone ever had their charger go dead? The battery is fine but charger has just given up this eve
    Never heard of that. Not nice. If you are able to call in to them, I'd expect they will sort you with a substitute while they check it.

You can have my charger if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For anyone looking for a replacement https://www.tayna.co.uk/golf-batteries/ are excellent, delivered in 2 days from UK and inc. shipping still a lot cheaper than anything I have found around here (especially since Halfords stopped selling them)

You can have my charger if you want it

Man if you still have it that would be brilliant. It’s actually my Dad’s and all. Was using his cart today so it looks like I did something to it. I feel awful enough!

If definitely hit me up with a pm, would be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

GreeBo wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a replacement https://www.tayna.co.uk/golf-batteries/ are excellent, delivered in 2 days from UK and inc. shipping still a lot cheaper than anything I have found around here (especially since Halfords stopped selling them)

Thats great. Is there no difficulty in getting these shipped from the UK? I tried different companies in the past and could never find anyone to deliver here from abroad. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thats great. Is there no difficulty in getting these shipped from the UK? I tried different companies in the past and could never find anyone to deliver here from abroad. Thanks.

None at all, I think shipping was an extra £10 or something which surprised me considering the weight.

I got a 36 hole beast delivered for about €55 all in.
    Larger footprint than other batteries but I have a huge bag and the larger capacity seems to mean its lasting longer (over a year now and not a peep whereas the last one I bought here was starting to struggle towards the end of a round)

/edit
    Found the invoice!

PRG-33 ProGolf Golf Trolley Battery 33Ah 1 £33.33
    Carriage £8.33
    Subtotal £41.66
    DISCOUNT £3.34
    VAT £7.68
    TOTAL £46.00

• Advertisement

I thought it was the charger that needed replacing??

Ya lads it’s the charger.

Seve looks like he’s sorting me out. Hero amongst men!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

Glad you're getting sorted, but FWIW I've had maybe 3 chargers go dead in the last 12/18 months. First two replaced within warranty but still a pain in the a$$. The 3rd was just out of warranty and I probably could have argued my case with the shop, but just couldn't face going in AGAIN with a busted charger so just ended up getting a different brand from my own pro instead. Maybe its a common thing with the chargers for lithiums ?

Just to confirm, the charger I have on offer is an original Golf Glider one. It is for the bog standard battery and not a lithium one.

Callaway if this is what you need, drop me a pm. I don't need payment for it, but I'm doing a fundraiser for the Irish Cancer Society at the moment, so maybe a small contribution to that would be nice :D

Just to confirm, the charger I have on offer is an original Golf Glider one. It is for the bog standard battery and not a lithium one.

Callaway if this is what you need, drop me a pm. I don't need payment for it, but I'm doing a fundraiser for the Irish Cancer Society at the moment, so maybe a small contribution to that would be nice :D

Ya man I think it’s the normal one. Pm me and we’ll sort it :)

Advertisement