Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Time Lucky

Options
  • 31-07-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hey A/R Boardies.

Going to give a log here a go. I'll welcome all advice, especially critical advice of what I'm doing wrong. I took part in DCM novices thread 2016 and really enjoyed that.

I'm in my mid 30s. I did a bit of running in my early and mid 20s around 30km a week average. I never ran competitively just to keep fit but unfortunately I gave it up completely with a few half hearted attempts that never would last too long. Ended up putting on 20kg. I made a serious effort  3 years ago to stick at it and have been running since with the exception of injuries. Lost nearly 30kg since. I entered 2015 Dublin marathon but twisted by foot at work 3 weeks out so missed out. That injury kept me out for 3 months.
    All ready mentioned  last year I took part in the DCM novices thread but a few weeks out another injury caused me to miss out only a couple of weeks out. So two DNS in a row. At the time I thought it was a twisted ankle as I went over on a pothole on a run but it turned out to be more serious.  Looking back now I was over training and ended up with insertional achilles tendinopathy. I've had a good few frustrating months and attempted come backs since October when it happened. I hope I'm on the right path now but I still expect a few set backs along the way.

Last year's PBs
    5km 17.59
    8km 30:41
    10km 39.14
    10 Mile 64.04
    HM 83.56 

No particular goals just want to get back running and training consistently again. If I get a nice base behind me I'll probably enter Rathfarnham 5km as a good few from the club are doing it and would be nice to race with them again. I'll just be aiming for 5km races for the medium term future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I'll start this log from July

Sunday 2nd July: 11.7km easy with strides finish average 5:17/km

Total distance that week 31.6km

Tuesday 4th July: Warm up, Fartleks, Cool down. The workout was  2 minutes on, 1 minute jog recovery then 1 minute on, 30 seconds jog recovery then 30 seconds on and 30 jog recovery x 5. 9.9km in total

Slight flare up of achilles after this so decided to keep to easy running for a week or so.

Friday 7th July: 10.2km easy  @4:53/km

Total weekly distance 20.1km

Tuesday 11th July easy 8.6km @4.46/km

Friday 14th July easy 7.8km @4.48/km

Sunday 16th July easy 11.6 @4.46/km

Achilles feeling good

Total weekly distance 28km

Tuesday 18th July: Warm up, Fartleks, Cool down. The workout was 45 Seconds fast, 45 Seconds Cruise (3 Fast, 2 Cruise) 2 Minutes Off x6

Wednesday 19th July: First time since my injury running two days in a row. Easy 20 minutes @ 4:48/km total distance 4.2km

Friday 21st of July: Warm up then  4x 1Mile with 2 minutes off then 2km @5k pace to finish, Cool down. Total workout 14.5km I did a long cool down after it.

Sunday 23rd July: 40 minutes easy with a few strides at the finish. 8.9km total @4.49/km

Total weekly distance 37.7km

No gym this week or running with the club because of work.

Tuesday 25th July: 4km easy then into 6km tempo (4.05, 4.08, 4.01, 4.09, 4.03, 4.15) 2:30 minutes jog recovery then 1km @5k pace 3:45/km, Cool down to finish.

I found that 6km tempo hard going towards the end. Total workout 13.2km

Thursday 27th July: 25 minutes easy 5.1km @ 4.49/km

Friday 28th July: Warm up, 6x 1km with 2 minutes walking recovery (3.43, 3.47, 3.45, 3.49, 3.48, 3.44) Cool down. Total workout 10km

Sunday 30th July: 60 minutes easy with strides at the finish. 12.2km @ 4.54/km

Total weekly distance 40.8km 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was wondering how you were getting on. Welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with the log, miles are the runners language, just saying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great to see you back CFR. Some weight loss there. Best of luck with the Rathfarnham 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Welcome back CFR. I remember you from last year's Novices thread.

Best of luck with the log and of course with the training.

• Advertisement

Monday 31st July

Gym/Rehab

Tuesday 1st August

Club training: Warm up, 5 1km with 2 minutes off, Cool down.

Same workout as last Friday. Not ideal to do the same workouts in a row bit of a mix up from me last week. Legs felt a bit heavy so I only did 5 reps instead of 6. (3:34 3:33 3:28 3:37 3:34) 10km total. I knew about it the next day.

Wednesday 2nd August

Gym/Rehab

Thursday 3rd August

Easy 5.8km run @4.42/km

Friday 4th August

Rest day...  Missed club training with work so I did my workout Saturday AM instead.

Saturday 5th August

AM: Warm up,  2x 2miles tempo with 2 minutes off then 1 mile uptempo, Cool down.

The two miles tempo at 4:02/km and 4:04/km and the uptempo mile 3.58/km

I don't like AM workouts but I was hitting the road early. 12.6km total

PM: Light rehab session.

Sunday 6th August

12km easy at 4:54/km

Total distance for the week 40.4km. I'm aiming at 40km a week if my achillies holds up for the next month or so expect nextwerk  I'm on holidays so I'm not overly pushed if I get the workouts in as long as I get 30km. Very happy with this week overall.

A few set backs since my last post here.. I've decided I'll do this log as a monthly thing rather then weekly as I think it gives me a better overall picture of the direction I'm going. So to finish off August after last 12km I logged here the next morning I felt my achillies flared up again it was my first real hilly run of the year. So I took some time off running, part of me thinks I'm over cautious about any niggle but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was away on holidays too for a good chunk of the month so I couldn't to my full rehab sessions either.

In the mean time I've decided not to aim for Rathfarnham 5km. Instead stick with plan A which was to not aim for any races this year until I'll at least 8 weeks base building and then another 6 weeks or so solid training done. So realistically that rules out any races this year.

The rest of August was

12.8.17  7km easy @ 5.00/km. Should have went for a shorter run but holiday exploring. Achilles a bit sore after it.

29.8.17 5.3km easy @ 4.51/km. No pain the next day.

31.8.17 5.3km easy @ 5.03/km. No pain but slight stiffness the following morning

Very disappointing month overall following two solid months of every thing going the right way.

Advertisement