Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Hosted Forums

12346»

Comments

• ok, there's no need to be sarky :confused:

Can you please give some instructions " to download whatever pleasant memories of this site".

file > save as

options > save page as

load > ctrl-A > ctrl-c > go to doc > ctrl -v

if there is a large amount of information the office may be able to help in making it available but that would be an issue for the devs as it may not be straighforward to provide the posts in a legible format without a ton of metadata that may or may not be sensitive.

any of the multiple utilities out there for downloading threads
    I'm baffled as to the tone of your reply, I was only asking a damn question ffs.

no, "just asking a question" would have been
    Are forums that are deemed to be surplus to requirements, and not useful as sub-forums, being deleted wholesale, the content "disappeared"?

Is there any way for the communities to "own" the content therein, if this is the case, or will the forums remain visible to those who have access?

I believe the tone of response was set by your bonus 10% dig-at-admins-and-staff that you seem to be unable to resist.

To clarify your questions further: forums will not be assessed as "surplus to requirements" the only assessment to be done is active/inactive and suitable/unsuitable , both of which have been discussed to some degree in this thread but, as already stated both are open to feedback and opinion.

I think we can agree that a forum with no posts for three years or less than 1 post per year over the last five years or with only one active user over the last year or two would all qualify as being somewhere between dead and inactive.

Suitability has been defined by me as being contrary to the boards terms of use. That's my opinion. I'm open to feedback on that definition without going into specific examples. (particularly without discussing hosted forum content here).

One approach to all of this would be to archive all hosted forums and let them start fresh with a blank canvas and request threads to be migrated to the new home with privacy/publicity settings that the community are comfortable with. Admin preference would be visible and public so that inclusion is encouraged but users may not be comfortable with that or the forum may not lend itself to that by its nature so exceptions will be needed and users and hmods should be aware that the option is there.

threads to be migrated would then be checked for suitability first by the mods before the request goes in, then by an admin or staff member before the migration is performed. of course, this is just my suggestion, it is not a final decision but its a step toward a possible solution. it is not without issues however, original members would still require access to the old material but linking to / copying from / quoting from would need to be policed which means more overhead for the mods.

• I would be more than happy with the definition of "inactivity" on that basis

re suitability of content, from the hosted forums perspective the content has already been evaluated as acceptable to the requirements of boards. Many of their charters include direct lifts and quotes re standard boards rules re content and behaviour and hosted mods have deemed it suitable.

I appreciate from a Boards perspective that may not fully satisfy the concerns if they are to take responsibility for the content under the boards umbrella. I think there are several ways for Boards to undertake a quality assurance exercise to take reasonable steps to ensure unsuitable content isn't posted.

For example -
    1) Sample each hosted forum, Admins take 3 threads in each hosted forum and read through it. Boards covers its backside with minimal time for Admins
    2) Ask hosted mods to sample each others forum, like we used to mark each others tests in school and make it clear that if content of a hosted forum is considered questionable then it gets raised with an Admin to give an opinion on how it could be dealt with, whether deleted, altered or left as it is. You could also add in an extra step in there before the Admin to discuss it with the hosted forums moderators first.
    3) Accept that some of the content has already been deemed acceptable by the mods in that hosted forum and trust their judgement

For preference, I was hoping that all content could be simply transferred over
    The idea of a fresh canvas has limited appeal

• What is a red thumbs down on a post? Is it a mod warning?

• I thought we didn't have them on Boards! Tthey're usually for disliking/booing a post - the opposite of a green thumbs up/like/thank.

• Like this?

• Advertisement

• It's just a symbol anyone can add to the heading of their post, it means nothing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Like this?

That's it. It just appeared at the top of one of my posts. I'm pretty sure I didn't put it there!

• Ah ok, THAT one... never mind, then.

• New Home wrote: »
    Ah ok, THAT one... never mind, then.

Still though, just wondering what it is? Can I put one on someone else's post?

• Still though, just wondering what it is? Can I put one on someone else's post?

You can't put it on someone elses post. You either clicked it accidentally or (incredibly unlikely) a mod edited your post to include it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

• GLaDOS wrote: »
    You can't put it on someone elses post. You either clicked it accidentally or (incredibly unlikely) a mod edited your post to include it.

Thanks. It wasn't a particularly controversial post so I was wondering. I'll assume it wasn't a mod. Funny thing is that it appeared overnight. I'll see if I can remove it.

• Still though, just wondering what it is? Can I put one on someone else's post?

No you can't. It's simply one of the post icons available to you when you make a post. It's possible you accidentally selected it when posting (if it's on one of your posts).

• mike_ie wrote: »
    No you can't. It's simply one of the post icons available to you when you make a post. It's possible you accidentally selected it when posting (if it's on one of your posts).

I've edited it out using that procedure. I must have been sleepwalking during the night! Thanks all.

• Boards.ie Employee

Still though, just wondering what it is? Can I put one on someone else's post?

It's a post icon. And no (unless quoting - not directly on theirs, but on yours quoting them).

• It's a post icon. And no (unless quoting - not directly on theirs, but on yours quoting them).

Thanks.

Advertisement