Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Hosted Forums

Comments

• As I understand it overseers were already simply added, (Mark & Niamh) I have no recollection of there being a discussion or even notification about it. It just happened. I have no idea if they have poked their head through the door or are keeping a regular eye on the place or even if they know we exist.

To be honest I would have to check what their title is, or what their responsibilities are, all I know is they haven't interacted or interfered, so presumably they are comfortable with the content and behaviour and Im very comfortable with being left alone :)

I didn't like the idea of them just being added, it felt a threatening gesture. I don't like the idea of them being there and able to interfere, but as with most threats that don't materialise they gradually fade.

If an overseer is deemed necessary, Im not sure it is, but that isn't my call, then what they are called or where they sit in a boards hierarchy is much less important to hosted forums than whether or not they are going to stick their oar into the running of forums. To me thats the crux of it. As has just been said, being left alone to post without interference is one of the reasons hosted forums were created and still thrive in some areas.

• Full Privacy seems to be a key feature of the successful/popular hosted forums- why couldn't boards try an un-hidden version of these forums though- considering how successful they are, surely it would be worth trying.

• To be completely fair, the privacy is what makes the forum I mod work. Posters like knowing they have a place to go and be open about things without someone finding out. Even with usernames people can uncover who you really are. I am open to an access system like what is used for Ranting & Raving or Soccer. We actually have a similar setup already wherein we poll our members to make sure they are comfortable with the nominee/applicant.

• Is the content being deleted from forums that are being totally removed, or will it still be accessible?

?

• ?
    The opening post indicated archiving is an option but if this happens notice will be given with plenty of time for posters with access to copy content

Having said that one of the points of this thread is to allow feedback on the options set out as well as suggestions from users. Hence it may well be that some forums are completely archived but if there is a genuine interest in keeping some forums visible for their historic content that can certainly be considered.

• Advertisement

• I think there is some confusion over the process here.

We aren't closing forums/getting rid of communities.
    We are re-assessing where existing communities belong on the site. If a forum is under "Hosted," it's not a "full" boards forum. We want to try and make as many of the active Hosted forums full forums as possible.

So, if you are a member of an active private forum, you will experience no change (other than the forum moving to a different category where boards rules apply.)

So, current private forums, that are very active, will most likely be upgraded to full Boards.ie forums- either private or public, depending on how their currently set up- is that correct?

If so, that sounds like a good news story.

• As LoLth said, this has meant some unsuitable content hosted on Boards,

define unsuitable in the context?

• What are the current full list of hosted forums on this site? Are they only fully accessible if you subscribe to boards?

• KKkitty wrote: »
    What are the current full list of hosted forums on this site? Are they only fully accessible if you subscribe to boards?

Post #23
    TallGlass wrote: »
    List of public hosted forums for anyone interested. If people wanted to start mentioning the Private ones that up to them, might give people more of an understanding.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Personally, I think the management are going in the wrong direction here they are digging up a non issue for some reason.

• Those are not the hosted forums. Or if they are there are others. I don't think there is a list of hosted forums, the nearest you get to seeing them is the occasional one as 'hmod' under someone's name. Cornelius, where is the Lock Inn in that list?

• Advertisement

• looksee wrote: »
    Those are not the hosted forums. Or if they are there are others. I don't think there is a list of hosted forums, the nearest you get to seeing them is the occasional one as 'hmod' under someone's name. Cornelius, where is the Lock Inn in that list?

If you click on the "Recreation" tab, The Lock Inn is listed there :)

• Few of the cool kids forums missing from that as well.

• If you click on the "Recreation" tab, The Lock Inn is listed there :)

Not for me, but I see Latverian People's Army. Think it only shows fora a user has access to. Ok

• If you click on the "Recreation" tab, The Lock Inn is listed there :)

You only see the ones you have access to.

• You only see the ones you have access to.

Ah okay

• Ahhh private ones should probably show up on that list with a list of the mods to message.

• Ahhh private ones should probably show up on that list with a list of the mods to message.

For closed but not private ones, like Online Dating, S&S and R&R say then yeh it makes sense not to have to go digging to find out who to request access from, but other private forums have been strictly invite only so there was no need for users to know who the mods were.

• Some private hosted forums were set up with the express intention of not being advertised to users beyond the forum. It would be unfair to list them now and definitely not something we would do without discussing it with the individual forums.

Other private forums are perhaps hidden as an aside and do not require anonymity and so could be listed publicly or may see this as an opportunity to encourage new life into the forum by going public. Again, we would discuss this first as it may not be as straightforward as making it visible, the content of the posts and the preference of the users would need to be taken into account.

@Cookie_Monster: for me, unsuitable means anything that contravenes the terms of use of Boards.ie - now, those terms have changed over time while the forums may not have so a refresh would be in order. If you can read down through the Boards ToU and apply each to your hosted forum without finding any/much that is questionable then no worries, if you find some/a lot then a cleanup should be considered or we need to have a conversation on how to handle it, if you find that the majority of ToU have been breached and correcting that would gut the forum and remove its whole point of being, then the suitability of that forum to be part of boards would need to be discussed by the forum members and an agreement with the admins needs to be reached.

• This post has been deleted.

• Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Thats all fine for a "Thunderdome'esque" scenario.

Cliques though? This is up to individual interpretation.

A private forum can indeed be described as a "clique" as it is a group of individuals who interact with one another and share similar interests.

In many cases they are not cliquey, the perception of being so just comes from other peoples insecurities. Even an innocent comment can turn a third party whingebag into a cry baby riddled with jealousy at not being privy to an "in joke".....very politely, get over it.

I have been a member of a few of these forums and they are great craic. You actually get to know people and form friendships. These friendships naturally transition to public forums and shouldnt be debarred from doing so due to someone labelling them as "cliquey".

Let me first point out the glaringly obvious fact, members of the invite only forums come from the general population of the public forums. So, friendships, bonds, interests are established there firstly in most cases.

The private forums are more intimate as there is a larger sense of community. People feel more secure with sharing personal details with people they feel comfortable with.

There is nothing stopping posters forming the same bonds on public forums and they regularly do so. Most of the people I am friendly with, are as a result of posting in the public forums. Cliques dont exclusively exist in private and invite only forums.

I have not witnessed any over the top examples of cliquey or nasty behaviour happening in After Hours or anywhere else as a result of cliquey invite only forums.

Have you actually seen this or is it something you predict to happen? Maybe I am just not sensitive enough for it to register on my radar.

For me, this site in general would only hold my attention for about 5 minutes on a good day. Its just full of people giving out in AH...and I know im one of them.

Why the fcuk would anyone stick around for that? I have been lucky enough for someone to find me interesting enough to approach me....aaaand continue to put up with me.

If I was not a member of any of the private forums, I wouldnt be here at all. That seems to be the case for many.

In fact, im pretty sure we were in the same one years ago.

TLDR?

If a reincarnation of the Thunderdome arises, kill it with Admin powers.

If people are just getting pissy because of "in jokes" or are insecure of other posters friendships with one another transitioning from a private forum to a public one, jog on......an Admin shouldnt be petitioned to close it or monitor it.

The site is bad enough as it is, sure they even left the door open and the Atari Jaguar escaped and never came back.

• Advertisement

• That's a pretty serious accusation to be throwing around PB, I assume you can prove what you are saying?

Bullying (or whatever term you want to put on it) should not be tolerated in anyway.

However just because some posters agree with or thank another's post, and they happen to be in the same private forum does not mean squat.

Ime in any private forums I've been in and been active on I have had broadly similar opinions to alot of the members there.

I've been invited to private forums and it turned out that I had nothing in common with other members so ultimately I didn't post and my access was removed either by request or by the mods.

Holding the same opinion or agreeing with someone does not a bully make.

• This post has been deleted.

• Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Would you not have reported it the last time it happened rather than think there is conspiracies brewing in private forums to bully other members.
    Because there isnt. Its 99% chat about scutter and bitching about boyfriends and girlfriends and getting smashed at the weekend.

Im sure if people meet up off site, they say jaysus that moldy lad is some troll.

• I'd just like to share one of the points in the charter for the forum I moderate:
    4. No speaking of those outside our glorious army unless you wish to recruit them to our forces. This includes taking the piss about anyone who does not have access here, or complaining about moderation decisions in another forum.
    Before anyone asks, yes I enforce it rigorously. I should after all, I wrote it.

• I think we would all recognise that its on a sliding scale rather than a binary black or white situation

Social banter, "in jokes", personal references etc would all be indicators of a thriving and vibrant social community, all extremely appealing to the growth and ongoing strength of the hosted forum communities.

On the other end of the scale is the more cliqueish and bullying behaviour that permabear is referring to. I too have seen it, here and elsewhere. It is extremely unpleasant and highly destructive. Ive also seen communities sailing very close to the boundary on occasion. But its certainly not the sole preserve of private communities, its a risk in all social forums, why? because thats human beings for you, they can be guilty of tremendous hurt and cruelty to each other, but then they can also be tremendously supportive and warm towards each other too.

In my experience, It comes down to the standards set by the moderators, what they will and won't accept, what conversations they get involved in, tolerate or censure. Im sure there are occasions where the moderators get it wrong tolerating too much or too little, interjecting too early or too late or dealing with it too harshly or too softly.

But thats true of ALL communities and forums, Its the leadership & integrity shown by the moderators that determine whether its the nice end of the scale or the rotten end not whether a forum is hosted or private or public.

• Would you not have reported it the last time it happened rather than think there is conspiracies brewing in private forums to bully other members.
    Because there isnt. Its 99% chat about scutter and bitching about boyfriends and girlfriends and getting smashed at the weekend.

Im sure if people meet up off site, they say jaysus that moldy lad is some troll.

If there is bullying due to cliques then that would need to be reported and dealt with.

Yeah alot of private stuff could be classed as scutter but some of it is grand too.
    Ah no i just tell you to your face that your a troll :P a sexy troll at that :pac:

• I have been in a couple of private forums and I don't think 'bullying' or 'clique' behaviour is exactly the right term (although there will always be the odd borderline comment). It's probably more that in private forums, people get to know and respect one another on another level. Therefore, you might be more inclined to back them up when someone is clearly (or deliberately) misinterpreting them in a public forum, for example.

Similarly, you're probably in the same forum because you're likeminded people; and much of the 'cliquey' behaviour is probably just a product of the fact that you're similar kinda posters (laid back, funny, devilishly handsome, etc :pac:).

So yes, there probably is some element of boards having 'invisible' circles, but from what I've seen, you get some quare rows in these forums too. It isn't all backslapping.

And how different is it to PMs? Should groups of users not be allowed to communicate via PM, lest some murky, opaque relationships develop between them, hidden from public view? Hardly!

I'm not in any of these forums anymore so I don't care, but I think they should just be left alone if they're active, and not have CMods and other moderators just parachuted in without their agreement.

• Request for clarification.

Are forums that are deemed to be surplus to requirements, and not useful as sub-forums, being deleted wholesale, the content "disappeared"?

Is there any way for the communities to "own" the content therein, if this is the case, or will the forums remain visible to those who have access?

There's a lot of personal history of friendships and personal journeys in some of those forums, and no matter what the Admins or Staff think about the users, it would be pretty horrible to just strike those interactions completely.

Thanks.

• Request for clarification.

Are forums that are deemed to be surplus to requirements, and not useful as sub-forums, being deleted wholesale, the content "disappeared"?

Is there any way for the communities to "own" the content therein, if this is the case, or will the forums remain visible to those who have access?

There's a lot of personal history of friendships and personal journeys in some of those forums, and no matter what the Admins or Staff think about the users, it would be pretty horrible to just strike those interactions completely.

Thanks.

If you would please re-read the thread that has been ongoing now for some weeks, more-or-less all of the questions you've asked have been previously answered.

Content will not be deleted. All of the personal history that you've built up will not be removed, it's just that if you haven't posted in one of these personal history forums for years, the content will be archived.

Archiving means that it will be accessible, only to those who ever had access to it, for an amount of time to allow them to download whatever pleasant memories of this site they may have had. We are still debating whether this content should remain ad infinitem.

• Advertisement

• ok, there's no need to be sarky :confused:

Can you please give some instructions " to download whatever pleasant memories of this site".

I'm baffled as to the tone of your reply, I was only asking a damn question ffs.

Advertisement