Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Hosted Forums

Comments

• Ah lads.

Also, you should enable the thanks here. See just how many people agree with what's being said.

• Did any of ye actually read the bit about the active hosted forums?

Yes. It's very unclear.
    finally active forums: ideally these would be merged or sub-forumed but some may be better suited to a single thread in a parent forum (active could still be content light, just consistently updated over time). Others would not be suited to boards.ie and would either be archived (private) , archived (public).

If any forum is to be archived (private) , a notice will be put up and all users will have ample time to copy content / export links etc before it goes. we're not trying to destroy content or communities. I would hope that any archived active forums would have enough time to establish their community elsewhere and continue their conversations in their own happy corner of the interwebz.

While I appreciate this is the beginning of the conversation surrounding hosted forums, I have no clue if the forums I'm a part of will become a thread in a forum, be merged with another forum, become a sub forum or if the active forum I have been a part of will have to 'establish our community elsewhere'.

Most of the posters here are in similar mindsets I assume. The hosted forums actually have meaning for us so please try to keep that in mind.

This feels like action for action's sake, simply because the original intention was for hosted forums to be temporary. Well, times change and boards has changed a hell of a lot over the years. Please try to listen to your user base and consider our objections instead of plowing ahead with this (still very undefined and unclear) changed.

• KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    That they're taking advantage of free hosting? Yep. Read that. Or that some will be moved to single threads, etc. Yep. Read that. As has been said. Communities have been formed and now posters fear they'll be disbanded or changed in some way. Posters don't want that is what I take from the thread so far.

They will use it as an excuse to close all private forums in less than 6 months as well.
    Its the classic boards we know and love. Wouldnt expect anything different.

As always, they have already made the decision with no discussion and zero room for anything else.

• DunnoKidz wrote: »
    ..a community
    LizT wrote: »
    ..communities
    Posy wrote: »
    ..communities
    Inviere wrote: »
    ..communities
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    ..a community spirit
    ..real sense of community
    This post has been deleted.
    ..and community in these two amazing forums is unrivalled
    ..these community spirited forums
    KERSPLAT! wrote:
    ..Communities have been formed

You can see a common theme here. Throwing it away is insanity!

• How many different private /Hidden forums are there exactly ,
    Just for the sake of it ,
    If hosted forums are dead and not been frequented by users surely it makes sense to shutter them ,

• Advertisement

• Did any of ye actually read the bit about the active hosted forums?
    Yes we did and frankly you are missing the point by a country mile. That you are is more worrying than anything.

Few enough were innocent in the past, few enough are innocent in the present, we just don’t know why yet.

• Loved seeing the first post in about 14 different threads today!

• I've seen a majority of posters in a forum I'm a member of say that it's the only reason they're still on Boards.ie at all.

Changes are not going to re-direct them to the public areas, the only reason they post in the public forums is because they're here for the private ones. Take those away and they're gone forever alongside the huge numbers who've left over the last three or four years, especially since the cloudflare thing.

The business model of forcing changes on users that they expressly do not want isn't proving to be a good one, unless the aim is to deliver the fatal shot to the site.

• Candie wrote: »
    The business model of forcing changes on users that they expressly do not want isn't proving to be a good one, unless the aim is to deliver the fatal shot to the site.
    And has been for a long while. That those charged with looking after this site and community(though the latter has been buggered up by the same "thinking") are coming out with this guff, for no good reason at all, yet they think it's a good reason? Not too much of a shock C. I mean look at the "business model" over the last few years. Pissing funds up a wall building the "responsive site", the culling of the entire history and community(s) of Boards under one drop down menu. And that was seen as progress?

That this is even being discussed, a non issue, an "issue" from when Boards was younger and more popular and populated, for me is as good an example of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic as I could muster.

In the past I've had the WTF moments and a few where I was very wrong as it turned out and others where I was right, but this truly sums up what is increasingly wrongheaded about the so called management of what was once the Boards community.

Though TBH, more fool for me that I still care. I dunno why I do still care and that care has bled off down the years in the face if change an amateur hour decisions, but care I do. Though ever less when I read utter nonsense like this. *checks to see if I'm under the 24 hour "rule" in "feedback".* :rolleyes:

Few enough were innocent in the past, few enough are innocent in the present, we just don’t know why yet.

• I think there is some confusion over the process here.

We aren't closing forums/getting rid of communities. Also, private forum content will always be private (at least to those who have access.) It would be legally dubious to open up the content of private forums and we're not doing that because we're not Facebook.

We are re-assessing where existing communities belong on the site. If a forum is under "Hosted," it's not a "full" boards forum. We want to try and make as many of the active Hosted forums full forums as possible.

So, if you are a member of an active private forum, you will experience no change (other than the forum moving to a different category where boards rules apply.)

If you are a member of an active public forum, you will experience no change (other than the forum moving to a different category where boards rules apply.)

If you are a member of an inactive forum (whether private or public,) the forum is for the chop but that's to be expected.

This process is the start of something that Feedback has been calling for for quite some time now. We are starting a process of looking at what forums are active and valuable and what forums can or should be closed off.

In many cases, public hosted forums could easily be a thread or two under the umbrella of the forum topic. In many other cases, public hosted forums should be full on boards.ie forums and will be so upgraded.

In many cases, private hosted forums could be a thread or two under the umbrella forum topic but that won't happen because what has always been will always remain private - so private hosted forums that have a bit of action, again, have nothing to worry about.

Tbh, this is a postiive step for hosted forums. It's the start of a process that should have been (and probably was meant to have been) started years ago.

(I will add, as an aside, that the Chelsea/Spurs forums were anomalous because they belonged in the Soccer forum, which is also anomalous. The Chelsea forum was private but no one posted there because there was a perfectly good thread in the Soccer forum that did the trick. The Spurs forum was public and active but, seemingly, the members who posted there thought it better to start a new site than to join all of us dunderheads over in the Soccer forum. Fair enough, I suppose, but the Spurs forum people deciding to leave boards is not a stick to beat us with. If Chelsea fans can enjoy the Soccer forum, so can fans of any and every other team in the whole wide world.)

• Advertisement

• LizT wrote: »

While I appreciate this is the beginning of the conversation surrounding hosted forums

Actually it feels like the opposite. The end of a conversation.

• So, if you are a member of an active private forum, you will experience no change (other than the forum moving to a different category where boards rules apply.)

If you are a member of an active public forum, you will experience no change (other than the forum moving to a different category where boards rules apply.)

So what happens to the HMods ?

• I'm still wondering why this is happening at all, and who's driving it. Pure speculation on my part, obviously, but are there legal/financial implications we don't know of? Is Google behind this (a bit like when they unilaterally decided to close the Online.ie email addresses)?

• So what happens to the HMods ?
    They will be eligible for promotion to full moderator status provided that they have a suitable record for the permissions that gives them.
    New Home wrote: »
    I'm still wondering why this is happening at all, and who's driving it. Pure speculation on my part, obviously, but are there legal/financial implications we don't know of? Is Google behind this (a bit like when they unilaterally decided to close the Online.ie email addresses)?

As per my above post, one of the areas that has constantly cropped up in this forum is that there are too many forums and there are plenty of sub-forums that could survive perfectly well as threads in the main forum, we are looking at that. The best place to start seems like the hosted forums because they were always intended to be seed communities that may or may not take off.

It's the start of a clean-up that's been called for for years, yet there's fervent opposition...

But, to answer your question - no, Google isn't behind it.

• Thanks for the clarification, hullaballoo.
    If you are a member of an inactive forum (whether private or public,) the forum is for the chop but that's to be expected.
    Absolutely. Hosted or not, if a forum hasn't had a post in a year, or is a private forum with about 5 members, then it should go. Way too many defunct forums on this site, when time and effort should be spent on the ones that are still at the point of saving.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The culling of the entire history and community(s) of Boards under one drop down menu. And that was seen as progress?
    And this is why they need saving. Of course, this is a topic for another time and place; but that time was when this happened and I still can't believe our lovely forums (private/public/hosted) are hidden away. This is why so many are inactive.

By all means, close defunct forums- I agree, hullaballoo, a clean up is badly needed, but surely we could let the others be at least a bit accessible or at least visible!

• looksee wrote: »
    Looks like I am in a minority of one in not having the faintest idea about any of them then.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, all I can gather from reading this thread is that there is a load of super cool private forums out there with great communities.. that I've never been invited to, huh

• I'm glad I'm not the only one, all I can gather from reading this thread is that there is a load of super cool private forums out there with great communities.. that I've never been invited to, huh

Excellent summation of my own confusion.

• Posy wrote: »
    In my 11 years on boards I have had 20,000 posts- and about 10,000 of these are from hosted forums.

Like others have said, they are communities and valuable resources. I have made many friends from hosted forums and would be very sad to see them go. You mention people establishing their communities elsewhere. I don't understand why boards is actively trying to lose members right now?

I understand that dead hosted forums need to be culled- so so do all dead forums!
    One hosted forum I'm a member of has had over 5,000 posts this month! Another is hitting 2,000. Surely these can't just be obliterated??

Will any of the popular and active hosted forums be turned into a 'real' forum of it's own, or is this the death knell for them all?

There's hidden forums with 5k posts a month? I've been around boards in various guises for around 10 years now and I had no idea about these.

I'm honestly kinda jealous now because I've watched activity dwindle on the main site. It used to be that you would refresh the front page and it would be pages of browsing before you would reach a topic from before the refresh. Nowadays the post count seems to be much slower and I've begun to move away to areas of Reddit and other parts of the net where there is more activity

• There's hidden forums with 5k posts a month? I've been around boards in various guises for around 10 years now and I had no idea about these.

I'm honestly kinda jealous now because I've watched activity dwindle on the main site. It used to be that you would refresh the front page and it would be pages of browsing before you would reach a topic from before the refresh. Nowadays the post count seems to be much slower and I've begun to move away to areas of Reddit and other parts of the net where there is more activity

in all honesty I do not believe that is a problem specifically for boards.ie as it has happened for years to various sites (anyone remember myspace for example?)

survival of the fittest really, I personally believe every site has a hard core of posters and the more you change, the more the hard core dwindles and once you lose them, the end is nigh. Boards is ok for now I believe.

• Well, I never knew any of this existed.
    Brings me back to being teen when you've missed a day at school and the whole class has a new inside joke that you have no idea about.
    Guess it's only for the cool kids.

• Advertisement

• Not all private forums are hosted forums by the way.

• So are there posters on Boards that only post in Private forums? What's the point of that? They should set up a private facebook group or something if they're not bringing anything to Boards. Or am i totally missing the point here?

• Lead wrote: »
    So are there posters on Boards that only post in Private forums? What's the point of that? They should set up a private facebook group or something if they're not bringing anything to Boards. Or am i totally missing the point here?

I think you are missing the point somewhat - not everyone that is on Boards has access or even wants access to FB or other social media. As far as I know, most people that post on private forums on Boards would also post elsewhere on the site, but they're mostly brought to the site because of the private forum(s) they're members of. Like someone else before me said, I'd say that three quarters of my posts would be on private forums. If these were to go, the incentive to post anywhere on the site would be vastly reduced.

• New Home wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point somewhat - not everyone that is on Boards has access or even wants access to FB or other social media. As far as I know, most people that post on private forums on Boards would also post elsewhere on the site, but they're mostly brought to the site because of the private forum(s) they're members of. Like someone else before me said, I'd say that three quarters of my posts would be on private forums. If these were to go, the incentive to post anywhere on the site would be vastly reduced.

Ah ok, get you now :)

/really need a thanks button in this forum.

• Lead wrote: »

/really need a thanks button in this forum.

Maybe we need to go back to pages of quotes followed with the word....

THANKS

.... it might remind someone for one of the reasons for introducing a thanks button in the first place.

• New Home wrote: »

But in terms of the wider community, what use is it to Boards.ie that people spend most of their posting life in forums so private that no-one else even knows they exist?

• looksee wrote: »
    But in terms of the wider community, what use is it to Boards.ie that people spend most of their posting life in forums so private that no-one else even knows they exist?
    because the vast majority do post elsewhere on Boards and even if they didn't they still view adverts and increase traffic to the site. I also know of a fair few who are regulars on the main site, but see the private forum as their "getaway" and would leave the main site if that forum was to vanish.

• There's huge confusion about this. The way I read it, there won't be any changes other than making active Hosted forums full on Boards forums, same users, same communities, nothing lost....and the culling of dead Hosted forums that nobody cares about.

It needs to be further clarified that any active Hosted forum moved to become a full Boards forum will retain its existing privacy structure, and anything closed/archived off will further remain private. Other than that, there's no changes :confused:

• Wibbs wrote: »
    because the vast majority do post elsewhere on Boards and even if they didn't they still view adverts and increase traffic to the site. I also know of a fair few who are regulars on the main site, but see the private forum as their "getaway" and would leave the main site if that forum was to vanish.

But what makes them so special they can have their own getaway some of the rest of us aren't allowed to have? The more I think about it the more it bugs me

• Advertisement

• But what makes them so special they can have their own getaway some of the rest of us aren't allowed to have? The more I think about it the more it bugs me

Their willingness to get off their arses, set up, run and moderate their own community/forum, typically in an area that they have an interest in maintaining without acting the muppet and spoiling it

No idea where you get the idea that you can't have that if you wanted it

Advertisement