Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Roaming in Germany and France not working on Three

Options
  • 31-07-2017 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I am travelling in Germany at the moment.  I have perfect 4G roaming on Eir Mobile.  Another member of my group has Three Ireland, and roaming data is not working for her.  What is strange is that H+ is showing on her phone, and she appears to be attaching to the same roaming network as me (telecom.de).  The only difference that I can see is that I am attaching to 4G and she is attaching to H+.  Is it possible that Three don't support 4G roaming in Germany, and that she is landing on a highly congested 3G network?   She says that she had the same experience in France last week.    I have checked all the settings on the phone and they seem fine.  I have also tried changing network manually and it doesn't make any difference.  
    Is it possible that she has used her monthly roaming data quota, and that Three have cut off her data roaming?  What happens when you reach your quota on Three?  Do they send you to a "walled-garden" website asking you to accept charges for excess data?   This Three phone does not appear to be going to any website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

A thing to remember is you don't automatically get the same type of data connection as the locals depending on host or current home operator have but you should be at least able to connect at 3G speeds, so H+ would be fine.

However one thing I would look at is to make sure Data roaming is enabled on her phone, not just roaming but 'data roaming'. Then if your still not picking up it could be her device doesn't have the necessary 4G antennas that are used in that country is using or an APN problem . Lastly I would recommend you bring it to the Talk too three' forum on boards to get a response from the Three reps. http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I have already checked the Data Roaming setting - it is ok.   I'll check the APN - thanks, and if it's not that I'll raise it on the Three forum.

The APN setting is fine.

I think this is going to require making contact with Three customer care to see if they can sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is she a real three customer or a legacy o2 one?

She was never with O2. Her data works (sometimes!) in Ireland, but she seems to be accustomed to the regular congestion and coverage issues that Three have at home. She is used to having to rely on WiFi at home and took it for granted that it would be the same in Germany! It amazes me how so many Three customers tolerate the poor performance of their service provider in Ireland and don't move to Eir or Vodafone. This user is not particularly heavy on data usage and has not got a new phone locked in contract so she would do well to ditch Three even without the current roaming issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Congestion = slow, not disconnected.

This issue likely lies with threes OSS not informing Telekoms systems to allow her data access. She needs to speak with them (or tweet them).

Advertisement